Quarter time for the Z

mighty Z

a quick thing to bear in mind is do not feel ashamed at being beaten by 305s etc at the 1/4 mile (it is different at the traffic light grand prix though)

As the ro weighs similar you will find it hard to get away particularly fast - my advice is if you are going to do it try it with and without t/c on.

A better place than the pod is shakespears raceway as you will get litterally tens of runs for your 20 quid sign on. If you do not warm your tyres up significantly you will spin - traction is great on the 1/4 but the first 60ft can be (suprisingly) easy to spin up with all the rubber there is there.

Best I could manage was a mid 15 despite having very low times for the first 600 - the issue was hooking up the gears which aint that easy in the ro.

If you want to go fast down the 1/4 you need to shed weight - much lower performing cars were making me look slow.

Mid 15????? :scare: I was running 15.2 on my old 1.4 MG ZR. All be it with an engine upgrade and full exhaust system etc :p

But perfect advice, the first 1/8 mile i found to be really slippery and unless you know how to get over the rubber you wont get a great time. Best is to get there early and be the first on the track so there is less crap on there.

BTW - i wil be up for this. I wont go on the strip yet i dont think, however if you want i can get the big camera down and do some filming for you all and edit it together :yahoo:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a quick thing to bear in mind is do not feel ashamed at being beaten by 305s etc at the 1/4 mile (it is different at the traffic light grand prix though)

As the ro weighs similar you will find it hard to get away particularly fast - my advice is if you are going to do it try it with and without t/c on.

A better place than the pod is shakespears raceway as you will get litterally tens of runs for your 20 quid sign on. If you do not warm your tyres up significantly you will spin - traction is great on the 1/4 but the first 60ft can be (suprisingly) easy to spin up with all the rubber there is there.

Best I could manage was a mid 15 despite having very low times for the first 600 - the issue was hooking up the gears which aint that easy in the ro.

If you want to go fast down the 1/4 you need to shed weight - much lower performing cars were making me look slow.

Mid 15????? :scare: I was running 15.2 on my old 1.4 MG ZR. All be it with an engine upgrade and full exhaust system etc :p

But perfect advice, the first 1/8 mile i found to be really slippery and unless you know how to get over the rubber you wont get a great time. Best is to get there early and be the first on the track so there is less crap on there.

BTW - i wil be up for this. I wont go on the strip yet i dont think, however if you want i can get the big camera down and do some filming for you all and edit it together :yahoo:

how much did the car weigh? Also its fwd which will help. My 60 times were indicating late 13s low 14s every time but the extremely tall gearing and ridiculously long gear throw doesnt help. The ripshifter will vastly improve this as will the upgrades I've had done but bear in mind at 70mph in 6th i am pulling 1800rpm = imagine the gearing.

Despite the surface being well prepared it was nigh on impossible to not be spinning up into 3rd

I'd advise on perhaps an organised run to shakespears as generally you get a lot more runs than at the pod

the Pod is in the middle of England, the other place is way too far for everywhere apart from London? (IIRC)

I'm in the middle of England so sounds good to me! Sounds like we could get a good day out of this. As AndyC said I'd probably only do a few runs to save my poor zed but would still be a good day :yahoo:

Just the standard weight, i didnt strip it out or anything, so around 1300kg.

inded 1300kg vs 1700kg (almost) - fwd vs rwd - shorter gearing versus taller gearing - short throw vs galatic (circa 1 second) throws

higher power doesnt mean faster certainly on the pod, the gearing on the two cars would see you going to the quater and if we kept going the ro would just walk away - its a pain!!! But it gives good fuel ahem...

there is a diff conversion which i may also consider as I'm never going to use vmax on the road officer

To get a decent time I think it's best to run 12>20 psi on the rears on standard 18"s a big burn out will help alot before the start as well.[dont think i'll be doing it in the Z] :)

I am not worried about the clutch the Z is a sportscar the clutch is made for this sort of thing the only way the clutch will break is if it's on the out already.

mitsi 3000gt is only just made for road use...

had one mate , you can murder a clutch on one of these with just road use ;)

thats my point, 2 or 3 hot starts from lights could see them off. Old friend of mine used to deal in jap sports cars, the mitsi was one of his best selling but he stopped selling them because of the nightmares he had with customers coming back with fubar clutches

I am not worried about the clutch the Z is a sportscar the clutch is made for this sort of thing the only way the clutch will break is if it's on the out already.

If you think that, you are sadly mistaken. No clutch on road cars is made for drag racing.

Good point, my old M3 had launch control and in the manual it stated that although it was a viable function, it was not advisable to use frequantly, due to wear on the clutch and drive shaft etc.

However launch control is an epic function on a drag strip

:thumbs:

If you think that, you are sadly mistaken. No clutch on road cars is made for drag racing.

Good point, my old M3 had launch control and in the manual it stated that although it was a viable function, it was not advisable to use frequantly, due to wear on the clutch and drive shaft etc.

However launch control is an epic function on a drag strip

:thumbs:

Just to add to this, the M3 launch control is only good for 4 hard starts, once you start doing more its bye bye clutch. Its pretty impressive though :teeth: