Completely safe but i would still poop my pants!

Beavis

What make me laugh is the fact that they tell you to turn your mobile phone off because it could cause trouble with the planes avionics, yet a trillion volts passing through the body seemingly as no effects! :lol:

That's a great shot, really is one in a million chance that!

Never been in a plane that's had a lightning strike, but got chatting to some of the crew when I flew out to Oz last year because as we were comming into Hong Kong there was a thunder storm. My Mrs was bricking it, she is nervous enough as it is when flying, so the thunderstorm was just the icing on the cake really.

The crew, bless em, were reassuring her and one of them said in one flight they got struck 4 times in a heavy thunder storm, they didn't even know about it until the pilot told them.

I was in a plane that got hit once, although it was about 20 years ago. Was a massive flash and crash and a few scream, air hostesses scuttled to the back of the plane. My mum grabbed one and asked whats happening to which she replied "oh, nothing to worry about, we were just hit by lightening" :scare:

Turns out its never usually dangerous but still scared the @*!# out of me!

What make me laugh is the fact that they tell you to turn your mobile phone off because it could cause trouble with the planes avionics, yet a trillion volts passing through the body seemingly as no effects! :lol:

Mobile phones dont generally cause any harm to the aircraft and probably would not pick up any signal anyway, the crew just dont want all the passengers jabbering during the safety demo!

There may well be some holes in that aircraft following that lightning strike and possibly damage to the wing tip around the exit point..........

Someone had better get the touch-up paint out for those entry and exit points! B)

I don't know about the A380, but most larger aircraft, mainly older ones, have 'blow open' covers that take the impact out of a lightning strike. I wouldn't be worried about being in an aircraft when lighting struck :thumbs: