Clutch gone --> now SOLVED

Adrian@TORQEN

Hi,

Since yesterday the zed started to act strange when pressing on the gas pedal, for instance when pressing from 3k rpm it goes almost instantaneously to 4.5k rpm and as fast as that back to 3k rpm from where it start growing in rpms normally.

Video bellow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gRO4hrl5V4

Tried resetting the ECU and setting the D1 spec controller again, no change, still does the same thing.

Any idea what could cause it?

Thanks

Anything to do with the electronic throttle control? :wacko:

Have you tried removing the throttle controller for now to see if you are having similar symptoms? Anything else you have changed recently?

Might be worthwhile PMing abbey or ZMAN and seeing if they have any ideas.

Good luck!

Thought about that, was just reading here: http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/123-mai ... sibly.html

theres also another way to test (mine never done it first time but after that on the return test it did)

get the car up to 4k revs and shift to 6th, press the accelerator all the way down and watch what happens..

if the car slowly climbs speed to meet the revs :thumbs:

if the car jumps (like has been happening) up to high revs then drops to rise :thumbdown:

i was lucky enough (if you call it that) that when i was taking her to ZMANALEX to let him check it, there became no doubt on what it was on the way there (never thought id make it)

good luck

Will

Looks similar to what I am experiencing. Biting point is almost all the way up when releasing the clutch peddle, when I give it some boot it revs up then comes back then starts to build. Clutch Kit and Flywheel ordered from Sir Alex and getting installed on Saturday, so no car until then.

Looks similar to what I am experiencing. Biting point is almost all the way up when releasing the clutch peddle, when I give it some boot it revs up then comes back then starts to build. Clutch Kit and Flywheel ordered from Sir Alex and getting installed on Saturday, so no car until then.

ive been the same since the start of last week...

ordered from Alex and................................

:yahoo: in for fitting tomorrow!! :yahoo:

feel lost without her :blush:

Called Japex Performance minutes ago, been advised not to fit uprated clutch kit as it worn twice faster on a standard (not supercharged) engine. Quoted £500.00 including parts, labor and VAT. Does that seem a fair price?

Also, what could be the benefits of fitting a more expensive (at least double) uprated clutch on a standard engine?

Japex are fully booked, the nearest available appointment is on 16th of May. Would you advise to drive the car before then?

Called Japex Performance minutes ago, been advised not to fit uprated clutch kit as it worn twice faster on a standard (not supercharged) engine. Quoted £500.00 including parts, labor and VAT. Does that seem a fair price?

Also, what could be the benefits of fitting a more expensive (at least double) uprated clutch on a standard engine?

Japex are fully booked, the nearest available appointment is on 16th of May. Would you advise to drive the car before then?

The Exedy clutch kit is not an uprated clutch and is what Nissan fit as standard. ;)

The £500.00 quote will not include a flywheel which you will probably require.

The damage is done, so providing you do not step on the gas quickly then it should be okay to drive.

Alex. :)

You are right, called them again now, they estimated another £350 for the flywheel, same model Exedy as your kit Alex. They will call me later today for the exact price.

They biggest trouble when sourcing from a different provider like yourself, they don't want to give any warranty which I can't understand, really...

youll need to ask someone who knows more, but the standard flywheel for the Z is over 1000 from nissan and clutch is .......?

ive been quoted 280 fitting for the eXedy clutch kit and dual mass flywheel by a very well reputated company

so for the Clutch, Fly and the fitting = around £910

so in IMO thats too cheap :S

be careful with Clutch type stuff, search the threads ect..

im sure someone will set you on the correct path soon..

Will

You are right, called them again now, they estimated another £350 for the flywheel, same model Exedy as your kit Alex. They will call me later today for the exact price.

They biggest trouble when sourcing from a different provider like yourself, they don't want to give any warranty which I can't understand, really...

You don't require there warranty on the parts mate as I have that well covered, however they have got to warrant there workmanship :thumbs:

£200.00 max, is the going rate for the labour. ;)

Alex. :)

Thanks,

I'm on the phone with them, on hold for checking the fitting price. They said they did not change a clutch on a 350z recently, therefore they don't know the price...

Edit:

Got a price of £250.00 + VAT :wacko: (about 4-5 hours work at £50/h)

Thanks,

I'm on the phone with them, on hold for checking the fitting price. They said they did not change a clutch on a 350z recently, therefore they don't know the price...

Edit:

Got a price of £250.00 + VAT :wacko: (about 4-5 hours work at £50/h)

Best not to use a garage that has not got any experience with the 350Z.

These boxes can be in and out in 2 hours to the experienced, however expect to pay 4 hours labour.