DRAG RACE CHALLENGE

Arkwright

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First ever head to head Z eliminator in the UK

Z Club Drag Challenge – North Weald 8th May and 4th September

This year’s Drag Challenge has been extended to a massive ten round extravaganza and takes in three of the established drag venues around Britain – not just Santa Pod this year, but a round at Shakespeare County and two at North Weald in Essex.

It is the North Weald rounds that have turned into something special – for the first (and possibly the last) time, we have been granted permission to run our very own “heads-up†eliminator. Not only will individual runs count for points in the Drag Challenge, the fastest eight (or if really popular, sixteen) cars will compete against each other in a side by side, Z specific, elimination contest and big bonus points in the challenge will be the reward.

You think you have a quick Z and ZX? Always burning off the opposition in the traffic lights Grand Prix? Then this is your chance to shine and prove to the Z community that you are King of the Pile!

The eliminator rounds (and the Drag Challenge overall) are available to Z Club members, but we open the challenge to members of other Z and ZX clubs who can join the Z Club at a specially discounted rate on the day.

Arrive early at North Weald (just off the M11 at the Harlow junction) as the number of cars signed on is limited and the venue is very popular. Sign on with the official of the day (Mike Feeney), get your car scrutinised by the track officials, pay your entry fee and line up for your practice runs. N.B. you will need to wear a crash helmet for this venue. All times will be gathered up to a cut-off at 2-30pm and the fastest eight (or sixteen if response is good enough) will be arranged into a competitive ladder system. The first round of eliminations will begin at 4-30pm and entrants will have privileged entry to the track in pairs. The winners of each round will then line up again in their new pairs until we have a pair of finalists.

Strict drag racing rules will apply. First through the top end traps wins. First or worst fouls will apply and eliminate the offender – red light, crossing the centre line etc. Reaction times will be key, especially with closely matched cars – as they say “You snooze, you lose!â€

Giant killers welcome. Further details, questions etc., contact Mike Feeney (Mr.F).

Other dates for the year include:

18/19th June – Santa Pod JapShow 1

2nd / 3rd July – Retro Show Santa Pod

23rd / 24th July – Shakespeare County (Avon Park)

21st August – Santa Pod

17/18th September – Santa Pod JapShow 2

2nd October – Santa Pod

23rd October – Santa Pod (30th October is Rain-off Contingency Round)

Please note that this is not an attempt to 'pinch' members from this club but you will need to be a member of the Z club to compete. I understand a special membership rate will be available at North Weald in order to enter the challenge.

full details of the rules of the challenge are displayed on www.zclub.net. Don't forget your crash helmet and I believe you will also need a long sleeve shirt to cover your arms.

This is an attempt to further improve the good relations that exist between the UK Z Clubs.

(and of course for the 'senior' cars of the marque to thrash the arse off you modern buggers :drive1

It should be a very interesting event at North Weald with the special facilities they are allowing us for the heads up eliminator. Never been done before. The more that enter the better the chance of carrying it on in the future.

Spectators also welcome.

No probs Anders, the forum isnt as busy as here so i am waiting for the answers. It would be good to see some 350s and 370s there even if they arent actually running. Once this event is getting good numbers it could become a regular. :thumbs:

B) sounds good,

The Z Club Drag Challenge runs a class based system for points (current regulations available at http://www.mjpauto.com/rules.doc

Slicks or nitrous immediately elevate cars to Class 7 Super Mod.

You raise a point for the Eliminator (which is evolving as we speak) and I'm going to make an executive decision that slicks are not permitted for this part of the event.

Some fresh suggestions this evening from Tony Huck the overall event organiser. He proposes two specific qualifying sessions i.e Z entrants only, privileged queue jumping (!!) for cars entering the Eliminator, one at 2-00pm and one at 3-00pm. Only times from these sessions will be used for the elimination ladder.

The eight (or if sufficient entrants, 16) cars for the Eliminator will be based on the fastest cars from the morning session.

Tony has confirmed that reaction times will be available during the day, but not for the qualifying runs. Therefore these runs will not contribute reaction times for the overall Challenge, although the elapsed times can be used.

He will need me in the timing cabin for the qualifiers and the Eliminator, so I will need some assistance during the day from non-racers...

Mike Feeney at MJP (Eastern Auto)

Brentwood, Essex

Hmmmm this could be interesting but dedicated 6 weekends could be a little difficult, but then I'd probably not even qualify if I'm sent to level 7 yet only have a smidging of NOS compared to what some can load these cars up with :blush:

Don't understand how NOS is treated as super modified? It's still forced induction isn't it?

Not fair!

:( +1 I will only use it to keep the inlet temps down :shrug:

Me too :lol::lol: no other purpose honest guv!!