Morrison's Fuel...

Peter10

Stay will me here I haven't gone mad.

I saw an advert today saying that if you spend £40 in Morrison's, you can get 6p a litre off when you fill up. Whilst most will see that as a good offer, I see it as a kick in the teeth that a company can drop 6p per litre (and still make a profit) when it suits them. To me it really does show that the consumer is massively taken advantage of for the one commodity that almost everyone in the UK relies on in some way.

Rant over :rant:

I certainly don't begrudge any company trying to maximise profit, and this is all that this promotion is doing. They probably will stand to lose money with this 6p off, but will hope to make it back through people spending more in their shops and the increased brand exposure this will generate.

Fuel prices in the UK are the fault of the Government and no other entity. Pure and simple.

Its most likely a loss leader. The loose a little bit of profit on selling the fuel, but the amount they then sell in the store leaves them in net profit :thumbs: Tesco have done 5p/litre off for years on and off.

As said, loss leader.. same way they sell 3 crates of beer for £16 or new release games for £20 every now and then.... they lose money but they get people in the stores who then inevitably do the weekly shop or buy more stuff whilst they are there. Dropping 6p a litre off fuel is a big incentive to do the weekly shop at a morrisons store, I don't think it's a case of they can afford to drop 6p (although I'm sure they still make money on that) it's just another way of playing on the "fuel crisis" to filll the stores.

There is a supermarket price war on at the moment and this is Morrisons way of improving there market share within the supermarket sector.

All good for the consumer because as well as 6p off per litre, food prices have been dropping this month as well. :thumbs:

There is a supermarket price war on at the moment and this is Morrisons way of improving there market share within the supermarket sector.

All good for the consumer because as well as 6p off per litre, food prices have been dropping this month as well. :thumbs:

Does the Morrisons your way do Super Unleaded? Just standard unleaded around here.

Sainsbury's are doing a similar promotion with 5p off if you spend over a certain amount.

Yeah tescos and sainsberrys have done this for years. As people say, it encourages people to spend 50quid or whatever of shopping (at probably higher than normal prices) in order to get 5p a litre off.

Around my way, Morrisons doesnt do super unleaded, but they are by far the cheapest fuel station in the area. I drove by last Saturday and they were queuing out of the forecourt and 1/4 mile down the road waiting to fill up with petrol.