Prospective owner after buying advice....

Hi all. Having admired the 350Z from afar for way too long I finally find myself with suitable finances to get my hands on one. Yeay!

Sadly not enough funds for the "new car smell" but enough for a 2003 model or there abouts. What I'm after now is enough knowledge to make sure I don't end up with lemon on the drive.

I've had a good search through this forum, (which has loads of good stuff on it - cheers guys), so I now know about the noisy rear axle, bad front tyre wear, dodgy hand brake and noisy windows. Oh, and a boot lid that might hit you in the back of the head!

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had any additional buying advice on things to look for and check on the test drive, dealer recalls to make sure have been done etc.

Sorry if this has been extensively covered elsewhere I've had a good look around and couldn't find a definitive guide. All help will be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Hi and :welcome:

Glad to here you're finding the forum helpful. :thumbs:

Are you looking to buy a UK model or an import? If your buying an import then there are a few other things to check for mainly on the paperwork. Other than that all that I can suggest is kick the tyres and if they don't fall off then get in and start smiling :teeth:

I'm sure someone will come along with some better advise than mine but for now enjoy and make sure you get some pictures up when the time comes. :yahoo:

Guest prescience

Not really any major issues except to say you should check for the 6th gear transmission issue if you do not have warranty. Accelerate in 4th to about 5000 revs and check the 4th to 6th upshift. If it crunches, that's an issue you need to deal with.

Minor quibbles ... creaky driver's seat, rattle from the passenger side dash.

Oh and check the front paintwork for serious stone chipping

Nothing really to put you off, good hunting!

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It’s actually very reassuring just how few there are! Why can no one else build a car that’s as reliable as a Japanese one?! (But that’s for a different discussion forum – Don’t want to be in trouble for going off topic on only my second post!!) :scare:

At the moment I’ve only been looking at UK cars. Mainly for the usual native/import arguments of ease of ownership, insurance, servicing etc. An import is still an option, I just haven’t done enough research on that market yet. I know what I want in the UK spec so an imported one would have to be the same or better. Rest assured I’ll be reading through the forum to get up to speed before making any final decisions. :dry:

Thanks again for the advice, I’m looking forward to the gearbox test already!! :teeth:

Hi all. Having admired the 350Z from afar for way too long I finally find myself with suitable finances to get my hands on one. Yeay!

Sadly not enough funds for the "new car smell" but enough for a 2003 model or there abouts. What I'm after now is enough knowledge to make sure I don't end up with lemon on the drive.

I've had a good search through this forum, (which has loads of good stuff on it - cheers guys), so I now know about the noisy rear axle, bad front tyre wear, dodgy hand brake and noisy windows. Oh, and a boot lid that might hit you in the back of the head!

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had any additional buying advice on things to look for and check on the test drive, dealer recalls to make sure have been done etc.

Sorry if this has been extensively covered elsewhere I've had a good look around and couldn't find a definitive guide. All help will be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Welcome Bugglet.

Firstly find one to teat drive, so if its a 2003 your looking for, test drive a 2003 - 2005. You'll then get a good idea about the power and interior.

Ask the stealer to let you have it for a good few hours and try it on the motorway, in town and on the back roads.

Plus make sure the one you test drive first is not the one you buy and give it a damn good ragging, so you really get the feel for it.

If you buy one from a trader, make sure you get warrenty and make sure they will ensure the axles, syncros and stereo is covered.

Look out for the poor paint work on the bumper

Take a CD, I use Fatboy Slim, right here right now, whack it in the stereo and crank it right up and listen to see if any of the channels or sub has gone

Try the aircon, heated seats, check for tools, jack etc

Again as before, someone else will come along with more advice

Cheers and good luck

Surely, but once you have correctly "heated 'er up", it doesnt matter if you rag the car or not methinks. These things are built for that purpose :p

At least if you try the one you will buy, you ll find out if there are any rattles/niggles before putting the cash on the table ;)

Welcome dude, these guys know their stuff and i listened to them and got myself a steal of a car.

B)

Some of them do B)

Just be aware of .... "The Custard One" :scare::surrender:

ewwwww, i hear that if you lick it, you can taste the difference. Plus its not waitrose custard, its tesco value! hehe ;)

Plus make sure the one you test drive first is not the one you buy and give it a damn good ragging, so you really get the feel for it.

No worries about giving it a "bit" of right foot here! I'm actully still trying out some other cars that are on a list of also rans against the Zed, so I've had to push the envelope a little so I can give them a fair comparison! :D

I've got two lined up to try next week, one UK and one import, both GT spec. The UK car is through a main dealer and will be for a sensible length of time. He did use the phrase "for the day" but somehow I don't expect it to actually be for that long, but certainly long enough to try it on decent roads that I know well.

Thanks for the tip of taking a CD, I'd not considered that one I have the Fat Boy Slim album somewhere, but I think I know just the Prodigy track to put the audio through it's paces!

Cheers for all the support, it's nice to know there's a good crowd out there. :thumbs: