Strange roadside cabinets

Chesterfield

I havent got a photo, but the council have been installing some new roadside cabinets recently, and the curiosity is starting to bug me now. I think Ill just pop an ask if I get the chance, but Ive scoured the councils website, highways agencey website etc and cant find any details of what they may be.

They are columns, about 8 inch square and stand about 2 feet tall. Some sort of stainless/silver colour. There are a bout 3 or 4 of them along a half mile or so stretch of road, three on one side, one on another. Very strange.

There havent been any Central Networks/Transco/BT vans around, just the highways workmen and vehicles. They are already in an area that has street lighting, so Ive ruled out temporary covers for new lamp posts. They are not in areas I would expect speed cameras given the number of them and the positioning of three within a few hundred yards on the same side of the road.

Anyone got any ideas?

Speed cameras.

The council did the same down my road, then a few weeks later speed cameras were installed next to the boxes. I think the council put the wiring etc to those smaller boxes, then the police / council / speedcamera contractors come in, fit the speed camera and wire it up to the box.

Speed cameras.

The council did the same down my road, then a few weeks later speed cameras were installed next to the boxes. I think the council put the wiring etc to those smaller boxes, then the police / council / speedcamera contractors come in, fit the speed camera and wire it up to the box.

But why so many of them within a short distance?

Thats what I thought, the location of them just doesnt seem to fit with speed cameras at all.

The police often do speed checks within the 30 zone near our house, and actually stand on the corner opposite our drive which, if I were the devious cunning individual that positions cameras to catch people, is the best location for them. Not where these boxes are.

Where these boxes are would make no sense for speed cameras, especially the ones in the 50 zone, as you can see them from miles away and would never catch anything.

They dont seem to have finished the project either, given where the roadsigns are to warn of works taking place, Id estimate there may be about 6 or 7 of these boxes going in in total, way too many for cameras.

Not in my wildest dreams will it be BT Infinity or Virgin fibre being rolled out, as that wouldnt involve the council putting the boxes in. Its bugging me now not knowing. I think Im going to pop home at lunch time and ask - the tension is too much!

I've seen similar boxes as you describe which have 2 parallel rubber hoses coming out across the road, when you drive over each hose it acts as a preassure switch so they can tell the direction and speed you're travelling - i.e: used for traffic/speed monitoring not speed enforcement. Maybe they haven't attached the hoses yet?

If it's these it sounds like they're planning something local to you, more houses, a new billboard (market research), a new by-pass, new road layout... that kinda thing. Maybe a traffic calming type road layout to save the cost of the police hanging around doing speed checks.

Im puzzled now as to what they are. The speed camera ones they did near me were roughly a 1/2 mile apart at least, so from what your saying, these are going to be far to close to be any use for that. It does sound that they are putting power there for a reason though... cant be street lights as they dont bother with boxes for those...

Let us know when you find out more!!!!!

Didnt get out at lunch, and its gone too dark for a wander up the street now, so will probably be lying awake at midnight wondering what the hell they are. They arent for speed sensors as they are permanent fixtures.

If I cant sleep thinking about them in the morning Ill have a wander up the road and take a picture. It will probably be something very simple and obvious, but Ive never seen cabinets like them before. Very strange.