Increasing pressure for track day

linkster

I took a gauge and let air out as they warmed up, keeping the same pressures. Remember to re-inflate at the end of the day! Think I had to let about 2-3 psi out at their warmest. You'll loose grip if they are over-inflated.

I have Falken 452s front and rear and going on a mini track day (hi speed corners, cones etc) this Sunday, circuit advises inflating to maximum to protect the walls, I usually have them at 35 all around, what should I increase them to?

Is this a track day or a CarLimits Airfield Day?

If its an airfield day I would recommend that you inflate the tyres as they explain. This is partly to protect your sidewall and rim of the tyre in high speed corners, and partly IMO to reduce grip so that you slide easier and break away is smoother. I always pumped mine up to a few PSI shy of the max stated on the side of the tyre and had no problems, full speed 70MPH slides with no adverse effects. A friend didnt heed this advice and after his first spin on the high speed bend we could see score marks on the tyres only a few mm from the rim :scare: Needless to say after that he pumped them up sharpish!

I have Falken 452s front and rear and going on a mini track day (hi speed corners, cones etc) this Sunday, circuit advises inflating to maximum to protect the walls, I usually have them at 35 all around, what should I increase them to?

Is this a track day or a CarLimits Airfield Day?

If its an airfield day I would recommend that you inflate the tyres as they explain. This is partly to protect your sidewall and rim of the tyre in high speed corners, and partly IMO to reduce grip so that you slide easier and break away is smoother. I always pumped mine up to a few PSI shy of the max stated on the side of the tyre and had no problems, full speed 70MPH slides with no adverse effects. A friend didnt heed this advice and after his first spin on the high speed bend we could see score marks on the tyres only a few mm from the rim :scare: Needless to say after that he pumped them up sharpish!

Yes, that's the one. Hence the question really - what IS the maximum pressure for those tyres?

I would say just run a few warm up laps and check pressures. The last time I ran my car at silverstone I let so much air out that by the end of the day the cold pressure was down at 20psi!

To start at 35psi after 2 laps at silverstone they were at 42psi this was let back to 35psi as the high pressure increase understeer. Few more laps and more pressure was let out.

Hope that helps mate.

I would say just run a few warm up laps and check pressures. The last time I ran my car at silverstone I let so much air out that by the end of the day the cold pressure was down at 20psi!

To start at 35psi after 2 laps at silverstone they were at 42psi this was let back to 35psi as the high pressure increase understeer. Few more laps and more pressure was let out.

Hope that helps mate.