Peeling lacquer on steering wheel switch covers.

scubapics

The lacquer is peeling on the steering wheel switch covers. Has anyone else experienced this and performed a DIY repair or just replaced the covers completely?

I'm not keen of carbon fibre so want to keep the original look.

Zmanalex already pm'd.

Jim

i can wrap in different finishes, i have a set that i'm about to do soon, just sorting out the lettering issue at the moment.

as for removal i did ut a while back and its not to bad but you need certain tools.

there are i think 2 star drve bolts that remove the back of the steering wheel cover, these are just covers, so you can get to the air bag part, you need to remove that to then undo the main bolt holding the wheel on from there you can then get to 2 other fixings which would allow you to remove the steering remotes.

this is from memory as i did it about 2 years ago so might be a little out with bolt locations.

if i sort my current pair out you could use them as a transplant so fresh ones go in and you don't have to do it twice once you've repaired them.

I had mine off for the same reason. Just used a fine grit paper to take all the lacquer off and it looks fine now. Taking them off takes about 10 mins in total.

Won't that remove the lettering though? The lettering on mine is on the cover rather than the switches itself.

Jim

i can wrap in different finishes, i have a set that i'm about to do soon, just sorting out the lettering issue at the moment.

as for removal i did ut a while back and its not to bad but you need certain tools.

there are i think 2 star drve bolts that remove the back of the steering wheel cover, these are just covers, so you can get to the air bag part, you need to remove that to then undo the main bolt holding the wheel on from there you can then get to 2 other fixings which would allow you to remove the steering remotes.

this is from memory as i did it about 2 years ago so might be a little out with bolt locations.

if i sort my current pair out you could use them as a transplant so fresh ones go in and you don't have to do it twice once you've repaired them.

Sounds like a plan if I can't find a replacement. I'd want it as close to original as possible. Would you like to PM me the cost?

Jim

Sounds like a plan if I can't find a replacement. I'd want it as close to original as possible. Would you like to PM me the cost?

Jim

i haven't sat down and worked it out yet, got to source something for it, so until i know that cost i'm unsure.

as for the finish i can get a brushed aluminium finish that should be pretty close if not better. and if you want other silver parts to be 100% identical i can always do those for you as well ;)

from what i remember the zed silver interior parts are a satin silver finish; i'll check my supplier and see what else i can find.

I see. So the set you have, could I buy and send you mine instead ;) Or have you knackered them in the process of experimentation?

:lol: the set i currently own; have been sanded back and painted black ready for hydro dipping or wrapping just in the process of sorting out the text part of them then i'll be ready to sell them.

just its the middle of the GCSE season so my day job is also my evening job and night job at the moment with all the marking. but easter hols are 2 days away ;)

Did you guys use a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off or did it come off easily by pulling? Also did you replace the torx bolts or reuse (manual says to replace).

Jim

Just a tap with the palm from behind has it off and I didn't get new bolts. It's not like you're changing a cylinder head when you do it, they're like any other bolts, just more awkward! lol

• 2 weeks later...
lee should have a set but i cant; remember how much they are.

Any update on this?

Lee says he has a set and was going to clean them up and send some pictures but haven't heard from him in a week despite pming him :-(

Jim

try contacting mattbowey, he's like lee's unofficial PA, ;)