Technical brakes question. Please help!

sasha@lazytrips

Hi guys,

I have had the skidding, ESP & Handbrake lights on for a few days and having read through previous threads, etc, assumed that one of the wheel sensors was gone.

Today, I noticed a slight rattle from the rear left and when I came to wash the car in the afternoon found that one of the two metal studs on the rear caliper (Brembo) has come out and although I pushed it back in, there is no spring on it like there is on the other side. The car is going to CS next weekend and my questions are: How bad is my problem? Can I safely drive the car? How complicated is this problem to mend (I have no parts or tools on me, so I guess I won't be able to sort it)? The car seems to drive ok, but am I right in thinking that one of the rear pistons is not pushing or holding the brake pad?

I'm at a loss as I work away in the week and need to figure out what to do in case I can't drive the car. :S

Thanks Alex,

Anyone know how much of a problem this is given I've already driven a fair way with this issue? Any ideas on how easy this is to fix and what bits I'm likely to need other than the spring? Would rather know what needs to happen so that it can be mended on Saturday.

I had the same recently and it was low pads, it sounds like the rear but mine was the front.

I got my pads from demon tweels (Ferodo) and fitted locally. I can help you out locally with lifts but I'm only in the office Monday and Friday :-(