Car to replace my newly sold Z

Chris s

Hey guys, what do people think... should I go for a Golf GTI Ed 30 or an S3... both of which I will probably have remapped... so the real difference will be 4wd v 2wd... and the quality / price comparison... thoughts much appreaciated

S3 Sports Hatch tourer thing,in Blue with 18" speedline Turini's,lowered. Looks amazing!

The Audi over the Golf any day,practically the same car,except the 4wd and kudos of having the Audi. Though i drove a Mk5 GTI for 6 weeks,and though it was a good car,i didnt love it,it did everything well,but had no soul. Id imagine the S3 would be the same sort of deal,especially as its 4WD. But up to you,out of the 2,the S3.

I had a standard Mark 5 GTI (197 bhp) before I got my Zed. It was a very capable car in many ways and it cornered well but I didn't find it involving to drive. Although the ed 30 would be faster, I'd assume it would otherwise feel similar to drive to a 197 bhp GTI. I found mine a bit clinical and the handling wasn't altogether pleasant in some ways.

Good car: yes. Fun car? For me no, for someone else maybe (the car magazines loved them!). Perhaps a remap etc would liven it up a bit but not the most fun hot hatch in stock form at least.

Can't comment on the S3 because I haven't driven one.

Ed