Cold start idle speed...

TimFF

Morning

What's the normal post cold start idle speed? Mine's an 09 313 with 17k and it seems to settle on about 1800 for a few mins, rather higher than I expected.

It is a lovely burble, but as my normal work departure time (when it become my daily drive) is 0530 I don't want to bug the neighbours... We have one VERY touchy PITA who complains about the noise buses make ferchrissakes and she whinged incessantly when I left at 0630 on the bike!

I'm used to modern ECU equipped cars starting with a rise in revs, but both the current other moderns (56 Cooper S R56, 08 Civic 1.8) then drop back to 'normal' idle within a second or two.

Is this a normal Zed trait? I've had a search but couldn't see this covered anywhere.

cheers

Tim

Yes that idle speed seems about right. I leave my car running for at least 3-4 mins before leaving my driveway. Best thing I can advise is get a K1 exhaust decat the car and enjoy.

You might want to purchase for the lady next door some ear plugs?

Thanks for the confirmation guys!

I don't care about the old bag at all, in fact she will probably go apoplectic next year when the Zeds out of warranty and I take a trip to Abbey for the Uprev and associated exhaust mods. Due to the ground slope our garage door faces her bedroom window at bedroom window height so she'll be treated to a few minutes of tickover. Shame... :lol:

But at least I can say it's 'working as designed'! :)

Yep, when cold my 313 is just the same. Start her up, idles at nearly 2k, then soon drops down to about 850(ish) rpm after maybe a minute?

With regards to neighbors... i live in a very quiet cul-de-sac of 28 houses.... 25 of which have retired old pensioners in. They have coffee mornings and church prayer meetings in the week whilst im at work. I can imagine what the topic of discussion has been since I fitted the K1 to my car. I can see them all huddled around a coffee tabling trying to decide who is going to knock on the nasty noisey car owners house and speak to them.

Went out last night to see what happens and it's about 2 mins to fall from 1800 to 850 or so, and the aircon made an almost negligible difference - maybe 50rpm or so. You could hear it change the tickover slightly, but the tacho needle barely moves.

Anyway, I'm happy enough to know mine's 'normal'.

Cheers

Tim

I raised this question when I first got mine last August but got responses similar to the above. I still don't like this aspect of the car though.

Common sense would seem to indicate it is totally unnecessary to rev up to 2000 rpm when all the oil is lying cold in the sump.

I have managed to get round it a bit by hitting the starter switch enough to turn it over a couple of times without starting and then starting it. The rev up seems to only hit about 1600 rpm. A bit more satisfactory.

B)

After checking mine (since this thread) it rises to a peak of 1750, reduces to 1650 within about 5 seconds and then slowly reduces to 1400 within a minute or so.

I wouldn't say it's harming the engine as there's hardly going to be any load on the engine whilst idling. As mentioned I normally leave the car running for 3-4 minutes before I move off the driveway.

After checking mine (since this thread) it rises to a peak of 1750, reduces to 1650 within about 5 seconds and then slowly reduces to 1400 within a minute or so.

I wouldn't say it's harming the engine as there's hardly going to be any load on the engine whilst idling. As mentioned I normally leave the car running for 3-4 minutes before I move off the driveway.

I suppose the potential harm is not the load, but the engine rpm while there isn't any oil in the engine bearings and around the camshafts.

It was my slight concern over the oil circulation that prompted me to ask in the first place. I can't imagine Nissan making an engine management system that creates unnecessary wear though!

I'll keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge itself (at least it has one instead of a warning light!) on the next cold start and see how long it is before it moves after the engine fires. That's the most critical moment, but I guess so long as oil hasn't completely vanished from every bearing surface there's no cause for concern.

It's perfectly normal. Another good way to annoy your neighbours is.............................................. :wacko:

Morning

What's the normal post cold start idle speed? Mine's an 09 313 with 17k and it seems to settle on about 1800 for a few mins, rather higher than I expected.

It is a lovely burble, but as my normal work departure time (when it become my daily drive) is 0530 I don't want to bug the neighbours... We have one VERY touchy PITA who complains about the noise buses make ferchrissakes and she whinged incessantly when I left at 0630 on the bike!

I'm used to modern ECU equipped cars starting with a rise in revs, but both the current other moderns (56 Cooper S R56, 08 Civic 1.8) then drop back to 'normal' idle within a second or two.

Is this a normal Zed trait? I've had a search but couldn't see this covered anywhere.

cheers

Tim