Cam cover replacement

evilscorp

Hi guys :wave: just going to post up sum pics of my attempt to replace my cam cover, my original one developed a leak in the 6th spark plug chamber and via the vast knowledge of this forum found out its a known fault that the seals fail round the spark plug chamber tops where it meets the cam cover.

Took the induction kit off etc and when I went to remove the strut bar I noticed there was a grey dot on top and a darker one further round the manual states the darker of the two should be on top so dont think it was properly tightened (not sure tho) bolts cam off easy just had to remove the aftermarket alarm as it was attached to one side.

Unplugd the connectors to the coils, throttle body and battery.

Going to get the plenum off, fit the new cam cover and new Motordyne plenum spacer on sunday when I can have a helping(watchfull) pair of hands around as the pictures in the motordyne manual suggest you place the plenum to the side unfortunatly this is the side which I need access to get the cam cover off :wacko:

Wish me luck :thumbs:

I took my driver side off and replaced it twice this weekend, it's not the first time i have done this crappy task, its just plain awkward!!! hope it went well for you and you didnt have too much of a nightmare seating the rubber gasket properly :thumbs:

How come you did it twice :wacko:

Took me 6hours to get the new one on and fit the plenum spacer altho did have a few problems with hard to reach bolts, i.e. the ones at the back of the cam cover :angry: also had to remove the coolant hoses to the throttle body as I didnt have the space to remove the cam cover when the upper plenum is sat at the side, only problem was I fitted everything then tryed to get the hose back on, couldnt get the clamp clip back on the hose and over the downward pointing pipe. That part alone took 30mins lol.

Only other thing was when I took off my old cam cover I didnt see any defects so not sure what was the problem in th first place that was causing the leak? When pushing the new cam cover on it did pop over the spark plug chambers so it must have had one which wasnt correctly seated on the previous cover.

Also a pic of the new plenum spacer fitted, hard to notice unless you know what your looking for :)

Lee has said the seals around the spark plug gallery are prone to failure so that will probably be your leak.

My leak was the breather hose fixing (the white one) was cracked)

I found those same bolts a nightmare but with with one of these handy buggers it only takes 60 seconds to do

558057_lg.jpg

Always best to take the plenum off when you are working to give as much space as possible. Having learned from the previous two times, the final time i did it i replaced all the stock horrible clips with jubilee clips which are far easier to use in the confined space.

I had to do it twice because i managed to slightly unseat the rubber gasket right at the back where you cant get your hand in. it carved the gasket in half and it just pi**ed oil on start up. sorted (for the most part) now though.

I have one of these to get the hose clips off - great for confined spaces!

4701.jpg

They use these spring clips rather than jubilee clips on cars these days as they are much faster to fit (with the correct tools) and give even pressure around the hose - a jubilee clip can pinch sometimes.