NOS Octane Booster

D4XNY

Was just browsing Halfrauds website to compare prices on oils, coolants etc and come across this NOS Octane booster....

Now i've tried petrol additives that clean your injectors, give you better fuel economy etc etc, and some octane boosters which are handy to add to standard unleaded petrol, if you cant find super etc etc.

But this stuff, increases the octane level by 6-7 marks for around £20

Now I wouldnt add it to every tank (im not a millionaire) but i would guess this stuff would be handy for strip runs, spirited driving weekends, track use, etc etc

Has anyone used this stuff, does the car feel more livelier?? any experience of this in the Z or other cars?

Wont do any damage will it??

Just thought I would hear your views on the stuff

Many Thanks

Dan

Ebay Link:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nos-Octane-Booste ... 3f03ac515e

Halfords Link:- http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65750#dtab

It's as good as any other octane booster, but increase RON by 7 points? No chance. It'll take 95 to 97 (so emergency use) or 98 to 100 (so for tuning max power), but nothing else. Personally I'd use Wynns octane booster, about £5 from anywhere decent and having used it extensively on previous turbocharged car builds, I can say that it really can make a difference. :thumbs:

Well im glad my thread is just asking for experience and advice, and i not put an energy drink in my tank, ha ha!

What he done would be the equivalent of me putting.......works it out in head....

6 litres of monster in my tank :scare::drive1

I have also read about buying Methanol, and running a mixture of 10%?? Much cheaper than "brand" octane boosters and effectively the same thing??

This is all theory and discussion by the way, im not planning on doing this, but be nice to know if i wanted to i could, without risk of blowing my engine up or anything! ha ha

You can buy ethanol in bulk off ebay apparently, and if you do have a mixture of 10% (1litre in every 10litres of fuel) your supposed to get better fuel economy, and in theory save money on fuel over a period of time...

(its a bit like the old vegetable fat in diesel engines)

Am i talking complete shite?!?! Im only regurgitating what i have read through google search on scooby forums, turbo forums etc etc

Its just in this day and age, any kinda fuel saving would be fantastic, and and increase in performance is a bonus, just thought i would read it up.....

The very best octane booster despite their claims only increase the fuel by 2 octanes, at most.... (2 ron)

Im also worried, that if you add this stuff regularly, would your ecu adjust itself, or would you nee dit remapped?

therefore would it make any difference if the ecu wouldnt recognise it anyway.....

My mate runs high octane fuel (some race additive) however his car is mapped for it so he gets full benefit of it.

Is that track only? What happens if he runs out? Switchable maps? I know its quite common in VAG land to have remaps for different fuels as they can have multiple maps so not uncommon to have race map (101RON), SUL map (99RON) and UL (95RON) map, oh and vallet map with the rev limiter set to 3k RPM :lol:

My mate runs high octane fuel (some race additive) however his car is mapped for it so he gets full benefit of it.

Is that track only? What happens if he runs out? Switchable maps? I know its quite common in VAG land to have remaps for different fuels as they can have multiple maps so not uncommon to have race map (101RON), SUL map (99RON) and UL (95RON) map, oh and vallet map with the rev limiter set to 3k RPM :lol:

It's a toy. One Map I'm sure but might be switachable.... He has a a stand alone ECU I think so not sure what limitations it has. It doesn't get used much though and I think he carries spare strapped to his roll cage!