engine warning light P0171 fuel system lean? help

Nolan

Hi,

I've got an 06 plate, 3 times this year the engine warning light has come on, no loss of power.

It's fault code P0171 fuel system lean bank 1.

First time the AA reset it for me, thinking it may have just been a fault with the sensor.

Few weeks later it came on again. Same thing, no loss of power.

I've taken it into my localish garage at Howden (Renault/Nissan).

They suggest that a connection to the ram pipe wasn't fitted properly so they corrected that and off i went again.

Another couple of weeks later it came on again same thing again.

Took it back into the garage they went through everything apparently and contacted nissan technical. They could only come up with one thing:-

The airbox. It's got a K&N airbox/filter fitted instead of the standard Nissan one. It was on before i got it. Does anyone else think this could be the reason?

I travel on the M18 every day and there has been a 50mph restriction on there for a good chunk of the motorway, when i'm on there since Jan i started to kick on the cruise control (i hadn't really used it before to be honest) and it's only on that stretch of road that the light has come on each time when cruising around 50. I say it only because its the one thing that has been consistant. But it's been spaced a few weeks apart each time, no consitancy on that part. Since i got the car back again i've not had it in cruise control going through the 50 to see if that has an affect (but i don't know this for sure).

Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated. The only advice the garage gave me was to go back to the standard airbox, which i'm not bothered about either way, just dont want the expense if i do that and it turns out not to be the reason.

thanks,

Nolan

It wouldn't hurt to take off the K&N if you can live without the noise it makes...

Flog it on here and then pick up a stock airbox (maybe someone will swap) and a decent panel filter, your engine will thank you :throb:

I don't know much about fault codes, but I am sure someone who does will be along shortly :snack:

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far.

Forgot to add ECU reset had been done on the second time. When they did the ram pipe thing too apparently.

I've been driving still (not used cruise control at all) and it's been fine.

What are the chances of it not liking 50mph in cruise control? with or without the K&N airbox/intake?

Anyone seen that before? I don't fancy putting her in cruise control at 50 for a few runs again cuz the yellow engine light stresses me out :) And i don't think i have the timing or patience to reset the light myself if it does flick on agen. But same way i don't want to be in a position where it's hiding under the skin. I'm not picky :teeth: