Personalised Plate

cerealuk

Have spotted a personalised plate that I've been after for a while, is being auctioned by the DVLA on 22nd March :)

Wish me luck! Will let you know if I get it (and what it is if I do)

Its a 6 digit plate with XXX XXX but would look a lot better with the space removed XXXXXX. From what I gather this is not allowed? Does anyone have any experience with this? I am not looking to change the font or edit any of the digits in any way whatsoever, would just like all 6 to be equally spaced...

Yeah you're not allowed to change the spacing.

I quote, What's required: "# Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted"

Pretty sure it's just a £30 fine and not endorsable but could be wrong. Don't know the RTA too well or whatever legislation it comes under!

I have a Private plate and i have been fined twice and at a cost of £60 per time on the zed. But i have to say that both times they were stroppy coppers. I have had far more coppers been behind me, in front of me,etc and they havnt bothered. Its a risk you take really!

On another note, my wifes car has had J4NET on her car for 4 years and not once has she been pulled over.

Car3.jpg

its all luck of the draw really as to how the copper feels. My mate has driven around for the last 10 years with no front number plate and a mis-spaced rear numberplate on his car and has never been pulled once.

As a biker ive always had undersized and mis spaced plates on my bikes, and only got pulled once. But in all fairness I was taking the mick that day as the plate I had on was litterally 1inch x 4 inches in size....

Also, good luck at the auction... i waited years for a plate I wanted to come up once and it ended up making about 20k!!!

Yep - as above, its an MOT failure and £30 fine if stopped by the police (can be up to £1000). DVLA can confiscate the plate too.

Ive recently bought one that I will not need to space differently to spell what I want perfectly, so in the future I shouldnt have the problem - it just means I need to get an 11 plate car! :lol:

I have the plate on the Zed spaced slightly off, but it is perfectly readable by ANPR, so I think the police turn a blind eye in most occasions. The plate on the fezza is perfectly legal, but I could space it slightly differently to make it look better - however, with both the Zed and the fezza, an incorrectly spaced plate on cars like that just screams "pull me and fine me".

So I dont think Ill bother changing the fezza one, and if I get pulled by the police for the Zed one at any point Ill just stick a legal one on it now, I cant be bothered with the fines and the factit makes my blood boil that they try to justify such petty crap by saying "criminals and terrorists alter number plates to avoid detection".

Whilst thats true, I think they may use false number plates or ones altered to have digits read incorrectly on ANPR - I am fairly sure they wont be driving such cars as 350/370Z's to remain incognito and having their number plates try and spell their actual name on the back. :dry:

The police use trivial crap like this to push up the "crime detection and crime resolved" stats. Fact.

Yep - as above, its an MOT failure

Depends on the MOT inspector also. This last year was the first year ive ever had to buy a full sized correctly spaced numberplate for any of my bikes in order for it to pass an MOT. Although, i think in general car mot inspectors tend to be much more thorough and less "understanding" than bike testers.