Noisy 2 way diff

99dsteele

Hi, guys pretty new to the forum and in need of your knowledge ...

I have just changed the internal to the diff for a Nismo 2 way.

Its adjusted to 60% the lowest setting. At very slow speeds while turning it is very noisy and clunky. It sounds like loud popping as the inside wheel trys to keep up.

Ive never used a 2 way diff before and unsure whether it is supposed to be like this? It sounds painful.

Should the diff be making this noise? Especially when set at even 60% ... ??

Thanks in advance guys

Darren

I usually head to the track every month, Im thinking of keeping a spare viscous and just putting the 2 way on when track weekend comes. But it just doesnt sound healthy and the change from 60 - 100% lock should make a difference, but doesnt seem to change the clunking. The car seems to skip/track to one sidewith the clunks/pops.

Its a used one from ebay. It is exactly the same situation as Greekman is mentioning ... which leaves me to believe its just noisy as you say.

From what I've been reading it can be set to 1.5 way by changing the sequence of the plates internally, but as greekman was saying he had his set to 1.5 way and still experienced the clunking. Do you think it would be worth the re-build? Much difference?

I used fuchs titan race fully synthetic 75w-90 ... the word seems to say friction modifier quietens it down abit, so its on its way.

Are all 2 ways as noisy? Cant remember them being as stiff on the silvias

Cheers :thumbs:

I bought a new Kaaz 2 way but converted it to 1.5 way before fitting. yes you get a small bit of scrabble at low speeds at full lock but otherwise you'd never know I had a mechanical diff unless I push on on track days when it really comes into its own.

How the diff was set-up (backlash etc) and fluids used will be the key to having a relatively quite diff. IMHO if you are doing trackdays a good diff is better than a supercharger for improving the performance of a Zed on track.

I think that I know that Nismo LSD which previously belonged to Russ Swift.

If so, then it has only been used around 6 times for demonstrations and was as good as new, however it has been stored out the car for around the past 5 years.

He offered it to me around two months ago but I decided against the Nismo 2 way as it did not suit my purpose.

Did you get the axle stub shafts as well?

Alex :)

Yea thats the one, to be honest from what im reading it sounds like the diff is just made like that. Yea the shafts came with it. Aye Russ said there wasnt many miles done on it and seems a genuine enough guy. Its a tight diff, and goes around the corners well ... not one for if you need to go into town tho.

Will see what ths friction modifier is like in it, im assuming its just like molly slip. If I cant live with it might be comming out but fingers crossed. I'll keep yous informed

Cheers :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing will sort it out for long mate... It's noisy as f...k grrrrr. The yanks appear to prefer redline with friction modifier as a valvoline and even after you break it in it won't stay quiet for long.

It's very embarrassing esp in car parks....I am even thinking of designing a sticker saying 'it's not rattling only when it's drifting' haha

And trying to actually explain and justify it to the girlfriend was the worse part.

All the best...but a track day or a drift day/night will convince you its worth it :)

It stays on for me!

Thats the spirit Greekman ;) Its always a compromise balncing performabnce and comfort and if needs must then roll with it.

I have to leave with the embarasing squeal of my PF 01 race compund on my Ksport BBk everyday as it never ger up to temp on my 4mile oneway comute to work but on tyhe track it all makes sense.

That said I would have gone for the Quaife ATB. ...quiet, life time warranty, no need to service and just as bloody good as the clutch type LSD like nismo. cusco etc for trackday or racing but if drifting is your thing then a 2 way is best :p

Thats the spirit Greekman ;) Its always a compromise balncing performabnce and comfort and if needs must then roll with it.

I have to leave with the embarasing squeal of my PF 01 race compund on my Ksport BBk everyday as it never ger up to temp on my 4mile oneway comute to work but on tyhe track it all makes sense.

That said I would have gone for the Quaife ATB. ...quiet, life time warranty, no need to service and just as bloody good as the clutch type LSD like nismo. cusco etc for trackday or racing but if drifting is your thing then a 2 way is best :p

man i dont know what comfort means...i ve got a 520 bmw with 65 profile tyres for that haha and the quaife is not for me as i manage to get the occasional rear wheel off the ground :p

as fot the nismo it has to be 1.5. i am not that keen on drifting...its more for killing porsches and lotuses on b roads (and tracks)...but dont tell anybody :shutup:

or the thread will be locked :nono::slap: