Possible buyer first questions

knghtandy

Hi all!

Great site! I have a feeling I'll be spending a while on here in the next few weeks...

I'm going to be in the market for a new sporty Jap motor in a couple of weeks time and I'm down to a toss up between a MkIV Supra (always lusted after them as a teenager) and a 350Z.

I have to say I'm leaning heavily towards the Z though but I want to clarify something.

Can you guys tell me exactly when the 300hp engine was introduced?

I've seen a few references to it being a special option in 05 then standard in 06, but Autotrader has a number of 03/04 models that claim to be 300hp GTs...

Are these likely to be grey imports of some kind or just "exaggerations"?

Also, does anyone know of any viable alternatives to these two cars (in the 8-10k region); I'm keen to test a couple of others as it's the drive I'm interested in most (not RX8 though).

Thanks in advance!

The original 276bhp engine ran from 2003-May 2006. The 296bhp engine was introduced in the facelift model which came with LED rear lights, bi-xenons and a slightly different interior. The 309bhp model was introduced in 2007, and also came with a slightly raised bonnet to accomodate the larger engine. The GT4 had the 296bhp engine in late 2005, just to confuse things a little more.

I wouldn't trust what sellers say on AutoTrader, when you're making the ad it gives you a choice of BHP, and most people just go for the highest one regardless of what they actually have.

Also, does anyone know of any viable alternatives to these two cars (in the 8-10k region); I'm keen to test a couple of others as it's the drive I'm interested in most (not RX8 though).

What have you got against the RX8? :boxing:

Thanks a lot, I did wonder!

I'm after something pre-06 as I've no intention of paying £455 road tax so I guess 300hp is probably out.

Oh well, time to start test driving now!

Nothing hugely against the rx8 as such, just not hugely keen on the styling :)

Yeah, part of me does want to go for the Supra to be honest, but they're getting on a bit now and finding one in good nick would be a challenge.

Have to say,I prefer the looks of the 350z though; quite a nice sleek look to them.

How do you guys find running your cars cost/reliability-wise?

I'm not bothered in any way about practicality, and I'm not too fussed about fuel costs either, but I'd rather not have a motor that's in the garage more than it's on the road :)