ESP (off) - What exactly does it do?

Stroudy

Turned the ESP off for the first time at the weekend (56 plate UK GT). Thought it made a noticable difference to the feel and responce of the car which was a nice surprise as some systems still have a bit of a hold even when they're meant to be 'off'. Not this though.. the rears do spin up very easily eh!

My question is: when ESP (off) button is pushed, is it just the TC that is deactivated or is there other stuff turned off as well. Did do a forum search but couldnt find much on this..

From what I remember it only turns off traction control, so it will allow the wheels to spin up in unison and doesnt cut power any more, but it keeps the actual ESP stuff on, which brakes the wheels individually to aid with stability. That is just what I recall though from a few years ago.

More knowledgable people will be along to confirm (or deny!)

What ever you do, don't ever turn ESP switch off on icy roads or snow unless you are the Stig!

Last year my mate drove out of the Aston martin garage with his new DB9 in the snowy conditions and thought to him self "wonder what this does" He never made the 1st corner and wrote it off. 5 miles on the clock and ended up in Hospital.

Never ever turn it off unless racing days:)

kind regards

Peter

Whilst I feel sorry for your friend, saying you should never turn it off in snow and ice is bad advice as that's the time you may well not want it on, to get some grip. If the engine cuts power every time a wheel spins, you'll get nowhere fast so will need to disable it

It's a Nissan not a Ferrari, so not exactly difficult to drive with the TCS off :)

I very rarely switch the ESP off ... In fact in under normal driving conditions I don't think I would ever switch it off ...

But I agree with Ekona on his point ... In winter I found myself having to switch it off temporarily to get myself out of icy carparks etc ..

:thumbs:

What ever you do, don't ever turn ESP switch off on icy roads or snow unless you are the Stig!

I think the point being made was probably for when you are actually driving along the road. I agree it can need to be turned off sometimes for grip getting the car moving though.

For normal driving, whenever the traction control kicks in (I'm pleased to say rarely) - a little voice in my head always says "the machine saved a little bit of your ass there you fool!" :lol::lol::lol: