How strong is the 350z rear bumper?

HassanZ

I noticed my rear number plate was coming off as the sticker wasn't strong enough. I applied some new number plate sticker and stuck it back onto the car.

I was just wondering how strong these plastic bumpers are...a friend of mine was using all his force onto the number plate for around 10 seconds to ensure the number plate was securely stuck on to the bumper. I noticed the bumper bends in when pressure is applied to the bumper, maybe because its hollow at that part of the bumper?

Can this cause any deformation/damage to the bumper if pushed using excessive pressure?

Thanks for your help guys!

rear bumper is made from ABS its a flexible material and will take alot of punishment, if you get dents you can often heat them up and push them out.

Thank you for your quick reply!

So pressing down on the number plate area with a fair amount of pressure with your hands, should not deform/misplace the bumper? Even though you can see the bumper pressing in slightly?

My heart skipped a beat when he was doing it :scare:

to break it needs a large sharp impact with a heavy object or a large amount of pressure applied. remember these bumpers get reversed into walls and bollards and generally just suffer paint scraps. if you do it in most cars thats an average of 1 tonne of pressure. i don't think your mate pushes that hard.

they will break but it depends on what you do. if you reverse it onto a corner brick or a metal pole then it will puncture or crack

to break it needs a large sharp impact with a heavy object or a large amount of pressure applied. remember these bumpers get reversed into walls and bollards and generally just suffer paint scraps. if you do it in most cars thats an average of 1 tonne of pressure. i don't think your mate pushes that hard.

they will break but it depends on what you do. if you reverse it onto a corner brick or a metal pole then it will puncture or crack

Ah ok...so the bumper will never deform as a result of human pressure/force. So when it bends in, it just comes back to it's original state/shape again.

I like your explanation, very well thought out and makes sense!

Appreciate it :thumbs:

Ah ok...so the bumper will never deform as a result of human pressure/force. So when it bends in, it just comes back to it's original state/shape again.

if i ran into head first id leave a dent :p:lol:

if i ran into head first id leave a dent :p:lol:

Hahahaha!! That's a good one!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The plastic panel thats part of the rear bumper above the number plate, in between the number plate and boot lid, it feels very hollow and rattles when touched/tapped. Is this normal or is it meant to be clipped to the bodywork? By the sound of it, it seems very thin depth-wise.

Thanks,

Hassan