Insurance - difference between Coupe & Roadster?

eftpotrm

Hi all - new guy here :-) Looking into 350Zs, getting very bored of my unfortunately necessary Zafira......

A coupe seems the default choice but the roadster isn't an unattractive option to me - however, putting a test quote through Compare the Market astonished me on the difference! (FWIW I'm already with Admiral and largely happy with them so I'd probably end up talking to their multicar system before anything else but I wanted to get ballparks.)

I'm 32, single guy, huge NCB, 3 points 3.5 years ago, car parked in a communal car park.

Coupe - £650

Roadster - £1100!

(For comparison, similar value Boxster - £750)

Is this remotely typical or have I somehow managed to trip the 'he's an idiot who'll crash it into a line of Ferraris' box?

I bought a 56 roadster in June could not use my 20 years NCB from my van so had to start fresh with the Zed, so no NCB living in London fully comp was £750 with Chris Knott god knows what it will be this year as insurance has gone up 40% across the board my van insurance has gone up £280 from last year. :wacko:

This is due to the roadster being an insurance group higher.

I would not bother with comparison sites if I was you.

Get on to admiral/elephant/bell and "play around" with the system, be sure to add a couple of older relatives to the quote even if they will never see the car let alone drive it. It's good to have them on there just in case. Also you'll want to tick the box that says: do you drive another car on a regular basis, you would not believe how much this reduces some peoples premium. Christmas is regular. ;)

I just got my renewal through this year and was dreading the worst... im 23 years old with 4 years no claims bonus but 1 write off and no points...

Fully Comp on my own policy £660 :D

looks like i swerved the 40% increase :yahoo:

In terms of the Roadster, mine would of been around 850 quid, i guess they just aren't as safe :shrug:

I'm 32, 9 years ncb, 6 points, living in a TW postcode, parked on the street and if my memory serves me correctly it came out at around £550 - that's with Chris Knott.

I need to try putting a relative on it this year to see if it brings it down at all.

OK, thanks chaps :-) Sounds like the Coupé quote (which I think was won by Elephant) is possibly beatable based on most peoples' numbers, and the Roadster quote is a comedy figure. I was expecting the more expensive and less secure Roadster quote to be higher, but 50% higher.... :scare: But no way should several years of NCB and a medium-sized town be 25% over even outer London and 0 NCB, and I'd have thought I'd be cheaper than 9 years younger, half the NCB and a writeoff too.

Thanks, I'll have a play with some quotes later and see what I can make the numbers do. The 'do I drive other cars' box was ticked - I live a few hours away from nearest relatives so I think including them on the insurance might raise alarm bells....

Honestly, the more I deal with car insurance firms the less I respect their competence. I've twice had a debate with EUI over the same car having come from a comparison site because EUI's database had its spec wrong and they trusted that over the data I input, then tried to allege I'd lied to get cheaper cover and would have to pay more. The first time, perhaps, an honest mistake on a badly designed system. The second time, one would have hoped they'd have updated their database based on being told it was wrong and insured on that basis....

It was a good game, certainly - long periods on the phone repeating the exact same information, offering to screenshot the page showing that I hadn't lied about the car, stating point blank that if they charged me extra I'd dispute the payment as I'd agreed to their quote in good faith and if they chose to trust their computer over me that was their problem.... As I recall the last I heard was that the manager was going to be calling me back to discuss this further. Given the policy has expired and been renewed since then I'm glad I didn't hold my breath!

Oh well. The consensus here and on another board that tipped me off about this place seems to be that the quotes I've got so far are, ahem, 'generous' and should be more than beatable. Which is nice :D - after all I'd pretty much accepted the Coupé quote as gospel and was just trying to check the difference to a roadster, so nice to hear they're both beatable.

Hi all - new guy here :-) Looking into 350Zs, getting very bored of my unfortunately necessary Zafira......

A coupe seems the default choice but the roadster isn't an unattractive option to me - however, putting a test quote through Compare the Market astonished me on the difference! (FWIW I'm already with Admiral and largely happy with them so I'd probably end up talking to their multicar system before anything else but I wanted to get ballparks.)

I'm 32, single guy, huge NCB, 3 points 3.5 years ago, car parked in a communal car park.

Coupe - £650

Roadster - £1100!

(For comparison, similar value Boxster - £750)

Is this remotely typical or have I somehow managed to trip the 'he's an idiot who'll crash it into a line of Ferraris' box?

Have you tried the club insurers for a comparison? The best prices and level of cover are not necessarily found on price comparison sites..