Plenum Spacer Installed!

evest

Not the first and certainly not the last to do so!!!

Got a Motordyne Plenum Spacer for ZMANALEX (usually great service) it's the 5/16" ISO Thermal one. Installed it today and am pleased to say it went (almost) without a hitch - I managed to round off one the engine cover bolts as I had to rush toward the end! :blush: Ah well, not the end of the world, will sort it next week.

Not done the coolant control valve yet as ran out of time.

The car felt great afterwards; I'm sure it had a slightly deeper growl and seemed to pull a bit better. Didn't get any CELs or anything so all good.

Really pleased with the mod, and got a bit more confidence from doing it - never had the lower plenum off before, but all went well.

If I can offer any advice to anyone thinking of doing it I would say this: I don't have much mechanical experience but was able to do it in 2hrs without any problems (apart from being a bit clumsy with the aforementioned bolt!). The instructions included are very clear and easy to follow.

Apart from normal hand tools, I would recommend investing in a low range torque wrench with a range capable of 4-5 NMs upwards - this is to ensure the bolts are tightened properly so the seal is good.

Oh and leave enough time to avoid rushing anything...schoolboy error there! :blush:

Happy :teeth:

Indeed!

So far I've done the short ram intake, Cobra cat-back exhaust and now the plenum spacer. Really just want to put some lightened pulleys on first, but I'm wiped out for this month!

Will keep it in mind though :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
What did you use to plug the coolant pipes? Im about to remove the intake plenum and install a new cam cover and new MD plenum spacer.

Thanks. :)

No need to disconnect any coolant pipes mate. :thumbs:

+1 You can easily lift the plenum high enough to fit a spacer. I have just done the same job and did not have to disconnect any cooling pipes and i did the lower collector too. ;)

You will easily have enough room to replace a cam cover :thumbs:

lol ok i wont but what do you do about the coolant control valve? do you have to use plugs when you cut into it so coolant doesnt leak out? :lol:

You will not be fitting the coolant control valve as it is not required in the UK with our climate.

However IMHO you should fit the Iso Thermal Aramid gasket as this will help reduce heat soak from the cyl. heads to the lower collector. :thumbs: