Thrust bearing going...

Traktion

I took my car in today after the squeek from depressing the clutch started to annoy me. It seemed to be making a squeeking sound that was coming from under the front of the car (like it was behind the pedal), especially on warm days and in slow traffic.

The mechanic took a look at it, poked his head under the car and said it was probably the thrust bearing drying out. They said this is common to happen after 3 years (mine is a 53 plate) and not just on the 350z, but the Nivara and others. Also, he said that after another 3 years, the bearing may just break, taking the gear box with it! :scare:

The problem is, it requires the whole gear box to be removed, the thing greased up again and then put back together. He said it was about half a days work and when asked if it was a warranty job, he said most have been turned away by Nissan, but that they would take a closer look when they pick it up on Friday and ask Nissan if it's a warranty job or not. He said not to hold my breath though, so I'm thinking it's going to be £500 odd quid to grease up a bloody joint!

Shouldn't these things be made better than to last 3 years and 22k miles if such an expensive procedure is required to grease them?!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, how it was resolved and whether it was done under warranty?

I'm in Southampton currently. Good to hear it was under warranty... I only have a month left on mine, so I'm a little worries! :scare:

If there is a TSB, that would be great ammunition if they say no to the job! :starwars:

Just done a search mate but can't turn anything up, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen one. Was gonna suggest if you're not far away running it into my dealers but Southampton's a bit of a trek! May be worth a phone call though 01204 360600, just ask for Nissan service (they've got a few makes under the same roof), poss they could tell you if its on a TSB or not. Like I said they did mine without any arguments

Thanks Andy! I'll make a note of that number and if they say no on Friday, I'll give them a ring and see what's what!

No worries mate, good luck! Btw if you need my reg for them to cross reference or check it or whatever just let me know

I too have the squeeky clutch pedal, and what I consider to be a slightly noisy thrust bearing, but my dealer said it's just normal for these cars.

My Warranty runs out on 11th on Nov !!, so I'm keen to get this logged and looked at.

If I log the issue with Nissan Customer services prior to my Warranty running out, then they have to endorse any work, even if it occurs after warranty expires (as I notified them before)..

A TSB would be good ammo.

Does this sound like the same problem?

The problem is, it requires the whole gear box to be removed, the thing greased up again and then put back together. He said it was about half a days work and when asked if it was a warranty job, he said most have been turned away by Nissan, but that they would take a closer look when they pick it up on Friday and ask Nissan if it's a warranty job or not. He said not to hold my breath though, so I'm thinking it's going to be £500 odd quid to grease up a bloody joint!

I only paid £240 to have my new clutch fitted and new thrust bearing is only £20 so might as well replace it, if not being done under warranty.

BTW this was done by a nissan dealer.

Prices + VAT

Just to keep you all updated, they took the car in on Friday (picked it up am, dropped it off pm) and they had fixed the problem! It was supposed to be just a check, but they said they'd found the dry joint, greased it up and it feels as good as new now! No squeak or rubbing, just nice and smooth! B)

Shocked and stunned at the good service lol!

• 3 weeks later...
Just to keep you all updated, they took the car in on Friday (picked it up am, dropped it off pm) and they had fixed the problem! It was supposed to be just a check, but they said they'd found the dry joint, greased it up and it feels as good as new now! No squeak or rubbing, just nice and smooth! B)

Shocked and stunned at the good service lol!

Guess it wasn't the bearing then? Probably just the pedal arm?

Mine is starting to really annoy me now, it squeeks and groans when it's hot and dry.

Do you know exactly what they did? And which "West Way" do u use?

No idea what they did, but it fixed it and it's still feeling great! I took mine to Southampton Westway and they have been pretty good on the whole. Sure, they've not been brilliant, but I know most of the service staff now (is that bad? lol) and they are helpful enough.