Dynoing out the myth of Intake mods: VQ35DE

Tricky-Ricky

Yes it seems so, i don't really see any reason to doubt the figures, with the induction design and size (which is the limiting factor as the tube size has a maximum flow, and its not possible to physically flow any more without FI) so the VQ35DE its going to be very hard to actually make any real gains in this area, probably have more impact on the HR engine with two intakes, which is probably why it was modified.

Hmmm fair cop, although the stock air intake box is a fairly restrictive bit of plastic. Although with my ARC box, it has for sure a less restrictive outerbody.

The plenum spacer and MREV2 as experienced myself is a FANTASTIC mod, although best suited for 06+ models.

Interesting find.....

Hmmm fair cop, although the stock air intake box is a fairly restrictive bit of plastic. Although with my ARC box, it has for sure a less restrictive outerbody.

The plenum spacer and MREV2 as experienced myself is a FANTASTIC mod, although best suited for 06+ models.

Interesting find.....

I think possibly the most realistic and practical figure in all of those tests is the average torque gains, as this is what you most likely to notice when changing things, and the spacers seem to indicate this the most.

They look about right for me. But what was his testing methodology? Did he reset the ECU between each and do a good few pulls to get the ECU adapt? Did he map it with UpRev (as I see he was using Cypher) for each? If not then they will all give about the same numbers (bar the spacers) as the stock tube has more than enough flow for the engines requirements. Its widely documented that the best bang for buck is a panel filter and the stock airbox - and the 06+ will net you maybe a few more HP if you're lucky.

The whole thread leading up to the tests is here, http://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exha ... sults.html

Bit of a long read, but from what i remember he did reset the ECU for each group of runs to get the ECU used to WOT, and only took the last dyno reading, i think he was pretty careful to achieve a fair comparison.

I think he has shown what we knew all along and as Rich says they add pretty much sod all. BUT if you mod for the noise then its all good. Also shows that spacers do add some power and torque, and also will give you a bit more after a remap. :thumbs:

The other thing to remember is that the dyno is not the same as on the road. I used to get very differing intake temps on the dyno (higher) compared to the road (lower) ;)

May ultimately save some poor bugger from paying big money for something like the Injen intake, thinking that they will make big gains, only to find it does next to sod all,

Since you can buy similar looking intakes for a fraction of the price, but still get the same look and noise ;)