stone chips!

rog518

managed to get out for the first time since before xmas today to clean the zed and was mortified to find so many chips in the front bumper! :scare: I have only done around 200 miles since the last clean! Didn't realise just how bad the roads were over winter :thumbdown: Anyone else has similar probs this year?

That looks way to easy but may be worth a try! cheers for the link :thumbs: Anyone used this before?

yeah its much easier than using the touch up pen , much neater job although dont be thinking

it will totally get rid of chips , it just improves the look.

You either need a respray to get totally rid or build up the chip with paint over a few days, wet sand then polish out.

I'm pretty good at keeping my distance as my zed is my pride and joy but think its down to the amount of salt and crap on the roads! looks like its worse on passenger side of bumper and also onto the door! Cant really explain why that is? Maybe more debris on edge of road than the middle,would of thought it would be the other side where cars pass in oppisite direction? :shrug:

That looks way to easy but may be worth a try! cheers for the link :thumbs: Anyone used this before?

yeah its much easier than using the touch up pen , much neater job although dont be thinking

it will totally get rid of chips , it just improves the look.

You either need a respray to get totally rid or build up the chip with paint over a few days, wet sand then polish out.

yeah prob get respray eventually but may try for the meantime. The design of the car will never stay chip free but its hard to let go and say "its only a stone chip"...or 100! :lol:

I'm pretty good at keeping my distance as my zed is my pride and joy but think its down to the amount of salt and crap on the roads! looks like its worse on passenger side of bumper and also onto the door! Cant really explain why that is? Maybe more debris on edge of road than the middle,would of thought it would be the other side where cars pass in oppisite direction? :shrug:

Ok. Here's a helpful reply :)

I've done my own bonnet stone chips - cocktail stick and paint. Just tiniest amount of paint on the stick and touch it in. Build it up proud of the chip. Then leave a week to fully dry. Now you can wet sand. Use a small amount ot wet and dry paper. Always keep it wet. 1500 grit or higher. The higher the better as the polishing will be easier but I've done it with 1500 and had great results. Once flat, use Megs Scratch X to bring the gloss back. I did a full guide somewhere. I don't think it ever made it into the guides section though.

But! I would not dream of doing this on plastic. The paint is so thin that the wet and dry sanding will go right through to the plastic underneath in no time. Best to get it resprayed professionally.

Jim

I looked at chipex before and also looks good. I have got a touch up from nissan for a big stone chip I have on the edge of my bonnet but to be honest havent had the balls to try it yet! Its the road rash which seems to be worse now and wouldnt want to touch up every single one of those bad boys with paint! :scare:

I looked at chipex before and also looks good. I have got a touch up from nissan for a big stone chip I have on the edge of my bonnet but to be honest havent had the balls to try it yet! Its the road rash which seems to be worse now and wouldnt want to touch up every single one of those bad boys with paint! :scare:

I agree with you. I'd get the bumper and the rash sprayed at the same time. Along with the bonnet as you must have plenty on there too.

I'm waiting to get my bumper and bonnet done but I'm skint until my boss gets me a pay rise sorted out for taking on the work of my other boss and some is his boss's work as they've both left and haven't been replaced. Ho hum. At least I've got a job.

• 2 weeks later...

Dr colourchip looks good. allthough i never bother to detail in the wintery months. it's too depressing when all your hard work is undone after one drive out.

i have a Megs clay bar kit to have a go with when the weather perks up, as well as the usual polish and wax gubbins.

I've got a chippex kit. It's not as easy as they make it sound but I am naturally cack handed.

It's is better than just a touch up pen as the fluid they provide (not sure what it is) lets you remove excess paint.

Paint match for my car is pretty good.

The little applicators for the paint are quite good, but a cocktail stick or brush would do.

I can never get the paint to stay level when removing it, it always seems to take too much off. Tried leaving the paint to dry for varying times, up to an hour but still no better. This was done in the summer when nice and warm.

Next plan is to take the majority of the paint off without going below the original paint if I can, then get the DA on it to polish and see if that looks any better, but not until the weather improves.

Just a cleaner way of reducing the look of the chips for me so far.

Don't pay ful price for the chippex, most other sites have discount codes of 20% on them, the VAG site used to.

If anyone has any ideas of what the fluid is they provide I'd be interested to know.