Geek help required - router recommendations

Stew

Wired is obviously the best solution if you can hide all the wires and connect everything that needs to be connected. If you've ever tried to hack into someones wireless network (that is secured) you soon realise its a lot harder than they make out on the net. I did it as part of my MSc, and just using WEP, capturing the traffic on my home network, it would take someone roughly 6 months of constant listening in to get the key.

The thing that caught my eye most was 300mbps wireless connection. This is what I want. The other specs are just confusion!

If I have to switch it off and on again now and then I don't mind really. I just hate the random loss of connection!

300mbps is pointless (apart from being future proof) unless your bb provider getting you those kind of speeds

get your provider to send you one for free? they should be able to send you an n rated one - altho the ps3 is only g rated so that wont support a faster router - weakest point of a chain and all that!

if your randomly losing conection on a laptop/pc try...

updating the wireless driver and/or

changing the channel on the router

Saty

Wired is obviously the best solution if you can hide all the wires and connect everything that needs to be connected. If you've ever tried to hack into someones wireless network (that is secured) you soon realise its a lot harder than they make out on the net. I did it as part of my MSc, and just using WEP, capturing the traffic on my home network, it would take someone roughly 6 months of constant listening in to get the key.

think i've seen toooo many films then :lol:

with wired you also get the full speed from your ISP :thumbs:

get your provider to send you one for free?

Saty

I'm with Virgin and got them to send me an FOC Netgear router. It took a bit of haggling, but if you've been with your provider awhile I reckon you'll get one, after all they're sending them out free to new customers :shrug:

It's the Netgear WRG614, does the job for me just fine. I use it for wifi to my phone and for playing the PS3 online. I have the 10meg broadband package and no issues with lag on Black Ops or GT5 :thumbs:

Ok to wrecked to read it all... if you decided to get one before I typed in here, well get another one.

Get a router that can do UPNP or DVLA complient from the wired link to the wireless... IMPORTANT! (future proofing anyway) I've got NTL/UPC or whatever they call themselves these days and they send a pretty decent Cisco router with their packages but, but, but it can't do UPNP via it's wired connection to the wireless = I've got a NAS with my musica and video yah and I want to be able for ALL my wireless devices to be able to play movs' music and vids... NEED something that can do UPNP via wired / wireles... In my case I had to re-install my old Asus router (WL500W) has a nice utorrent client built in and you can stuff it with a usb hard drive if you want to share stuff locally too. Anyway it does UPNP so can sit with my htc phone and play it all and use the nice controller feature...

as a side line > check out XBMC! IT's absolutely AWESOME...

:drunk:

(be sure to not enable upnp via the internet pipe though, not good if people on the internet finds you and start streaming... :disguise: )