Hairy, hairy, handling

StephenG

My 'beater' is in the bodyshop, so I'm having to use the Z for journeys I wouldn't normally - i.e., work.

Hence I drove it to Chertsey Weds, and Southampton yesterday. All good (despite the terrible feeling I get leaving it parked on a public road in a town centre), but on Wednesday, the roads were quite damp.

And then I suddenly realised... in all my time owning and driving this car, I've never had it on a wet road with the supercharger on.

And my God is it hairy. Hairy, in fact, at speeds so low that it would be the same without the charger attached. Blip the throttle in almost any gear at almost any speed and traction brakes instantly - on all 4 wheels sometimes - such that the ESP can't help you. I was overtaking on the motorway at 80mph, quite leisurely, and then blipped the throttle a touch too hard and suddenly I was sliding across the lanes.

Teeth-gritting stuff!

Guest prescience
My 'beater' is in the bodyshop, so I'm having to use the Z for journeys I wouldn't normally - i.e., work.

Hence I drove it to Chertsey Weds, and Southampton yesterday. All good (despite the terrible feeling I get leaving it parked on a public road in a town centre), but on Wednesday, the roads were quite damp.

And then I suddenly realised... in all my time owning and driving this car, I've never had it on a wet road with the supercharger on.

And my God is it hairy. Hairy, in fact, at speeds so low that it would be the same without the charger attached. Blip the throttle in almost any gear at almost any speed and traction brakes instantly - on all 4 wheels sometimes - such that the ESP can't help you. I was overtaking on the motorway at 80mph, quite leisurely, and then blipped the throttle a touch too hard and suddenly I was sliding across the lanes.

Teeth-gritting stuff!

Stephen,

I had the same experience on a dual carriageway with Toyo T1Rs - not a nice feeling at all

Good to know I'm not on my own there. Bap - I have lots of tread left, and they're Bridgestone Potenzas, which aren't known for being too shoddy in the wet, though I haven't ruled them out.

That said, it's not the speed that appeared to be the problem, but the rear end lightening up under power. I was wondering if my aftermarket spoiler is actually lifting the car up, but that would imply it was speed related.

When I first had my Zed , it was doing this all the time , swopped the tyres (Bridgestones of course ) and never had the problem again :thumbs:

ps put the Falken 452 on as replacement

Good shout on the Bridgies, but Falkens? Never in a month of Sundays!!! I had the Falkens on my old Celica, they were absolutely lethal in the wet - really - like trying to balance a penny on a beachball.

When I first had my Zed , it was doing this all the time , swopped the tyres (Bridgestones of course ) and never had the problem again :thumbs:

Good shout on the Bridgies, but Falkens? Never in a month of Sundays!!! I had the Falkens on my old Celica, they were absolutely lethal in the wet - really - like trying to balance a penny on a beachball.

you cant judge tyres from car to car!! these are the latest 452's.. I doubt you've tried these, but anyway anything will be better than the God awful Bridgestones :thumbs: I have Continental on my 19" wheels now but I still think the Falkens shade it over these even ;)

you cant judge tyres from car to car!! these are the latest 452's.. I doubt you've tried these, but anyway anything will be better than the God awful Bridgestones :thumbs: I have Continental on my 19" wheels now but I still think the Falkens shade it over these even ;)

I've got the Falks 452s on (following lomoto's recommendation AGES ago) and they've been great, tons of grip in the dry and decent in the wet too. A massive improvement over the 'stones.