Steering wheel angle reset

Jez @ H-Dev

We've just done an engine swap on an '04 UK 350Z.

Car runs fine, but stability control / traction control lights come on after driving over about 15 mph. I've have a look at the fault code logged and its the steering wheel position center. When driving straight the ECU thinks the wheel is at an angle of about 70 degrees.

Does anyone know how to reset the steering wheel angle without going to Nissan?

Jez, I think it is a Consult job, but you need to make sure you have ther steering wheel in the correct orientation. The wire needs to be centralised. Did you remove the steering column UJ?

Very easy to break the wire if the steering wheel has been spun around 1 turn either way.

Mark

Steering UJ was removed and initially I had the wheel 360 deg out. It's back in the correct position now - I can see the steering angle change properly from lock to lock in the Uprev software so I don't think I've broken it - its just that when driving straight the ECU thinks its at an angle of about 70 deg.

I've had a search around and some other Nissans have a problem like this when the battery has been disconnected for a long time.

Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go to a dealer.

Steering UJ was removed and initially I had the wheel 360 deg out. It's back in the correct position now - I can see the steering angle change properly from lock to lock in the Uprev software so I don't think I've broken it - its just that when driving straight the ECU thinks its at an angle of about 70 deg.

I've had a search around and some other Nissans have a problem like this when the battery has been disconnected for a long time.

Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go to a dealer.

Jez, when disconnecting the SC UJ you really should lock the steering column from turning and as Mark has said you may have damaged the wiring on the angle sensor.

Why don't you centralise the wire and get the wheel into the correct orientation and take it from there however Consult 2 may have to be your friend.

Alex. :)