P3 or Level 3??

Mickeywheelspin

Ok, so I just called Nissan Slough (WLMG) and asked for a quote for a P3 service and they quoted me £399 :scare:

I explained in the nicest possible way that she was having an effing laugh and I was expecting sub £250 and she said that would be the cost for a level 3 not a P3 and that the P3 is only really for cars still under warranty - the work is exactly the same they just have to do more checks on a P3 service..... smells to me.

So a level 3 is right is it??

By the way, it's a 56 GT with 37K

Ta, Mike

Ask them how much a P2 is and what extra they do for a P3 to justify the extra cost (bearing in mind a P2 and P3 are exactly the same service on a 350)?

Has any Nissan dealer actually given a decent answer for that? Any I have asked blame Nissan for their pricing structure :surrender:

I was told an L3 is exactly the same as a P3, just they dont hook it up to Consult diagnostics, which apparently they have to pay Nissan to use, and as they arent using it, they then can charge less. Not sure how much of it is BS, but I always went for Lx services of Px services.

If in doubt ask to speak to the Service Manager, he's a pretty nice chap in WLMG, and tell him you're from the club too ;) (and Chris with the Black Edition sent you)

My Wife booked in our Z for a P3 service last week with Wessex Nissan in Bristol. The first price they gave was £410 :scare: My good lady said I will need to speak to my husband and see what he says, with that the girl at Nissan said I can give you 10% discount and free collection and return. Seemed okay so we booked it in. Having thought about it we thought it was still a tad pricey so gave Nissan in Bath a call they would do the service for £310 but not the collect and return. Phoned back Bristol to tell them the news and they matched it straight away as they need the work and they will still collect and return it. In one piece I hope. So its good to have a wife who shops around. B)

Seems odd that the p3 and p2 are the same - sounds as though I'll just be paying for someone to write a 3 in the book instead of a 2!

Reckon I'll shop around for an L3 then if there's no difference. £150 to hook it up to the diagnostics is crazy.

P2 and P3 arent always the same. P3 they replace the diff oil and I think a few other things, but they arent applicable to the 350z. The girls on the desk dont know this and they charge a flat rate for P2 and P3.

There are other checks involved with P3 over L3, but I forget what they are. Remember being London prices they will be charging something like £75/hr + VAT, so if they say there is an hour difference in labour between P3 and L3 then that is where the extra expense is.

Still - tell them you are from here, get an L3 and it will all be sorted hopefully. Tell them you want the GTR mech to work on it too :thumbs:

Craig from WLMG has just told me the following...

L service is for low mileage cars so they don't bother checking the plugs or rear brakes

At P2 (£219) they change the oil filter - for a P3 (£295 - that's magically dropped £100 between phone calls!!!) they do oil filter, air filter, lights, levels and change the brake fluid. Don't think that includes the spark plugs (forgot to abut if they tell me they need doing I reckon I can manage that myself.

The other option is to call Abbey, but I'd quite like to keep the book all stamped up...

The other option is to call Abbey, but I'd quite like to keep the book all stamped up...

I'm the same, sadly I reckon the resale value is higher with a FNSH, shame there isn't a fairly cheap post service checkup service from the pros to make sure the dealers actually did everything right!

I'd say a stamp from Abbey is worth more than a Nissan Dealer stamp, but I suppose it's only valuable to us Zed lovers...and GTR lovers

Depends if you sell privately or PX it. If you PX it, a stamp from Abbey is worth the same as any other independant, it aint Nissan main dealer. If you sell privately, its pot luck if they know who Abbey are. No offence to Abbey, but thats how it will be seen. To a forum member a full book from Abbey is worth quite a bit :thumbs:

Depends if you sell privately or PX it. If you PX it, a stamp from Abbey is worth the same as any other independant, it aint Nissan main dealer. If you sell privately, its pot luck if they know who Abbey are. No offence to Abbey, but thats how it will be seen. To a forum member a full book from Abbey is worth quite a bit :thumbs:

Agreed, I think that apart from "those in the know" FNSH is worth something.

The extra you pay at a main dealer does not equate to any extra you get at px or sale time IMO

The other problem I have is that although I accept that Abbey use 'superior' parts and provide a good service they're about £50 more and an extra 120 miles or so round trip.

Craig from WLMG has just told me the following...

L service is for low mileage cars so they don't bother checking the plugs or rear brakes

At P2 (£219) they change the oil filter - for a P3 (£295 - that's magically dropped £100 between phone calls!!!) they do oil filter, air filter, lights, levels and change the brake fluid. Don't think that includes the spark plugs (forgot to abut if they tell me they need doing I reckon I can manage that myself.

Just proves how much Nissan dealers follow the service schedule :dry:

A P2 should involve changing the air filter, oil filter, lights and levels as well. Even a P1 should check the lights and levels :surrender:

Brake fluid is an additional service item that should be done every two years, therefore at every P2 and P3, and will be charged as an additional cost.

Plugs need doing at 5 years/54,000 miles (therefore technically at the third P1 service)

A P1 is basically an oil/filter change and a basic check of everything else (incl steering gear/linkages, brakes, tyres, drive belts, fluids etc).

A P2 should change the oil/filter and air filter and inspect everything else (all P1 stuff plus drive shafts, coolant strength, air con hoses, ignition leads etc)

A P3 is exactly the same as a P2 - so why do they charge more -or more importantly why do we bother getting a P3 done when a P2 is exactly the same but cheaper?

(The only extra item listed for a P3 over a P2 is the LSD gear oil replaced rather than inspected, and ours doesn't get replaced as it's the viscous coupling type)

It's all in the service book on pages 18/19

More details here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=32280

A P3 is exactly the same as a P2

+1

The "Level" services are generic services mainly for older cars out of warranty. The "3" used to cover oil+filter, air filter, brake fluid*, coolant* and spark plugs* (*not included in any P service) so £399 isn't too bad if they still do all that work considering there's a fair amount of extra labour and parts involved.

Most dealers want almost as much for a P3 (an hour's work max, with £40 of parts).

The other problem I have is that although I accept that Abbey use 'superior' parts and provide a good service they're about £50 more and an extra 120 miles or so round trip.

I am lucky I am only 30 miles away, but any good Independant Garage would be better than Nissan Dealer IMO plenty of recommendations on here :thumbs:

**Still - tell them you are from here, get an L3 and it will all be sorted hopefully. Tell them you want the GTR mech to work on it too :thumbs: **

Er, whats a GTR mech?? Or am i missing something blindingly obvious!!

Mines in for a P3 at Martins Winchester this morning..

**Still - tell them you are from here, get an L3 and it will all be sorted hopefully. Tell them you want the GTR mech to work on it too :thumbs: **

Er, whats a GTR mech?? Or am i missing something blindingly obvious!!

Mines in for a P3 at Martins Winchester this morning..

They have master technicians specially trained for working on the GTR and 370z as WLMG is a High Performance Centre (HPC). Their master tech is very good, only one who touched my 350z and now 370z ;) They understand the importance of the car and that its not just a nice looking Micra :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I would just like to confirm that WLMG Slough will price match or beat any like for like service or repair. With regard to the debate between L3 and P3 I would go for the L3 everytime, it is a more comprehensive service at a cheaper rate due to the service being aimed at vehicles outside of the warranty period. The service itself is recognised by the manufacturer and dealers (although some play dumb to it) to try and sell a P service. In relation to pricing during booking this is due to our call centre who work from a fixed price menu, if any forum memberswish to contact us please call 01753 511900 and choose option 1 then option 2, you will still be able to make the booking but you will talk to the branch. Please mention the club and I will ensure you are looked after. We will supply a replacement vehicle fully insured free of charge for any members who visit for service or repair and we will also provide one years RAC cover free of charge with all of our service bookings. We will also offer a free collection and delivery service within a 10 mile radius of the dealership. Alternatively if you would prefer to mail me please feel free.

Hi, I would just like to confirm that WLMG Slough will price match or beat any like for like service or repair. With regard to the debate between L3 and P3 I would go for the L3 everytime, it is a more comprehensive service at a cheaper rate due to the service being aimed at vehicles outside of the warranty period. The service itself is recognised by the manufacturer and dealers (although some play dumb to it) to try and sell a P service. In relation to pricing during booking this is due to our call centre who work from a fixed price menu, if any forum memberswish to contact us please call 01753 511900 and choose option 1 then option 2, you will still be able to make the booking but you will talk to the branch. Please mention the club and I will ensure you are looked after. We will supply a replacement vehicle fully insured free of charge for any members who visit for service or repair and we will also provide one years RAC cover free of charge with all of our service bookings. We will also offer a free collection and delivery service within a 10 mile radius of the dealership. Alternatively if you would prefer to mail me please feel free.

Can I quote the above goes for WLMG Reading, also if you call 01189319530 option 1 then option 2 you will get direct to

branch. Also all vehicles in for service get a wash and vac included.

• 1 year later...