Rays alloys and 245/40/18's all round

trackpig

Hi

I have the standard rays alloys fitted to my car. I want to get rid of the understeer thats present on trackdays, to do this , I am thinking of fitting 245/40/18's all round.

I have checked on the online calc's and it seems the 245's will fit on the 8" and 8.5" rims no problem.

I am aware there my be TC and ESP issues but what about rubbing or poor steering feel??

Any first hand experience of 245's on the front or opinions out there?

:thumbs:

Running the same size tyres all round won't dial out understeer, you'll just get massive oversteer as you'll have shifted the balance too far to the front. Drop the front tyre pressures a couple of psi (what tyres are you running, and what pressures?), and get some adjustable A-arms on the front along with some camber arms on the rear so you can set the suspension up more aggressively first. That's the correct way to get rid of understeer, adding massive tire widths at the front is only going to cause a very unbalanced car which will in turn reduce your track times.

I could go for a new set of tyres but I want to buy the right sizes.

I am happy with 245 on the rear but was thinking of 235 or 245 for the front.

The front geo is not really adjustable unless I purchase A arms. Wider tyres seems a cheap way to increase front grip.

Thanks for any info

p.s I know vredestein ultrac sessanta are rated on here, but has anyone ran them on track?

When your on track do you readjust your pressures sponge the tyres are warmed up?

I've never experienced under steer on the track.

What tyres are you using?

Even in the wet with re040's I didn't get understeer. I did when using the wrong lines on track but alex came out adjusted what I was doing wrong and from then on I was feeling pretty confident. So could you possibly be using the wrong lines or pushing on too hard for the cars capabilities. If it's the latter then a-arms and a new set up will be required I reckon.

I have used a couple of different tyre choices, tyre pressures are dropped to around 34psi hot.

I find the rear end planted which can make the slightly less front end grip feel more prominent.

I know that coilovers, camber arms and full geo is the best way forward but getting the right tyre size is important.

What size tyres do the regular trackdayers use on the their Z's?

225/45/18, 245/45/18 i think mines are. The tyres are fine that size, Its more important about the quality of tyre used. zmanalex runs 600whp through this tyre size i think. If your cars set up for road then to be fair your limiting your track abilities. Even a set of lowering springs will make a difference and give you a more aggressive camber set up and center of gravity. I run 35psi on track. A softer tyre will cause the sidewalls to flex more, so maybe try making the fronts a couple of psi higher than the rear

Pm zmanalex or abbey motorsport as both of these guys know more than anyone else in britain about racing zeds probably

What type of tyre have you on just now for the track?