Gearbox '04 up

NIcad7

If you buy a S/H gearbox how do you know if it is going to last, what life has it had before you brought it?

Think I will stop giving advise on this type of threads , I just get shot down as if I dont know anything. We have rebuilt a numbe rof gearboxs that been fitte dinto cars and after a few months given trouble.

Worth stripping your box to have a look inside I think , is it noisy in all gears or noisier in the lower gears but quietens off as you get in the higher gears?

If you buy a S/H gearbox how do you know if it is going to last, what life has it had before you brought it?

Worth stripping your box to have a look inside I think , is it noisy in all gears or noisier in the lower gears but quietens off as you get in the higher gears?

Its always been noisy when coming off the clutch, which would suggest input shaft bearing to me. Which is also a known weak point on these '03 box's IIRC?

Since fitting the Exedy Stage 2 last weekend, which bites fairly hard the noise has gotten progressively worse, then last night it really got bad. Seems to be in the lower gears although didnt want to take it into the higher gears.

Ive had a box rebuilt before and it ended up being an expensive option as it wasn't done right in the first place and was never perfect thereafter. Especially with the upcoming S/C upgrade cash at the moment is going to be an issue.

Plus time is an issue, I can swap a box out in a Saturday morning. I can't afford to have the car off the road for a week or two to have it rebuilt.

ZMANALEX I think ill be buying from you after next weekend if the guarantee will still run after my SC conversion also...? :)

I have no fears with your proposed FI upgrade. :thumbs:

I run a stock box with circa 600bhp and have had no transmission issues. :thumbs:

Indeed :D

You heading down south any time soon?? ;)

Yes I will be heading South as I will be requiring a remap, however not sure when.

Pallet shipping to you is no drama. :thumbs: