Regular House Movers

Guest prescience

Guest prescience

Any of you regularly move house and get really pi**ed with the exhorbitant Estate Agents fees they charge for very little work.

Any tips for ways around this?

Yeah,

Go round three or four agents and play them against each other regarding fees. I do this every time I move, and the bloodsuckers will cut each others throats to get your house on the market.

Tell them that the other agent has offered you 1.3% and will they match it, etc, etc.

Guest prescience
Yeah,

Go round three or four agents and play them against each other regarding fees. I do this every time I move, and the bloodsuckers will cut each others throats to get your house on the market.

Tell them that the other agent has offered you 1.3% and will they match it, etc, etc.

Typically what should I aim to get it done for - in the region of 1.5%?

Yeah,

Typically what should I aim to get it done for - in the region of 1.5%?

Sounds about right dorian.. :thumbs: any less than that and you've done well.. last time I sold some property managed to get a fixed price (not a percentage ) but got less work rate from them :blush:

As clark354uk said, tell agent A that agent B offered 1.3, then go to the agent B and tell 'em agent A offered 1.2... I'd aim for not more than 1.5, you should easily get 1.3. Never heard of anything less than 1% though

Although cartels are illegal and in no way am I suggesting that estate agents collude.... they will know each other's rates, the market, etc better than Joe Bloggs so would this approach work? It's all worth a punt though, eh, considering the wallah in danger.

The difference between 1% and 1.5% of a 200k house is a nice little earner, Rodders, and I would imagine EAs fight to keep their margin - what say you, Digsy my son?

I've been helping my dad sell the old family house and have engaged various agents in different ways:

Some work on a fixed price

Some work on a fixed percentage

Some work on an incentive

eg:

Incentvive

I'll sign-up with the agent for 6 weeks.

If they sell in the first week they get 1.5%

If they sell in the second week they get 1.4%

If they sell in the third week they get 1.3%

until

If they sell in the sixth week they get 1.0%

Remember at the end of the day, they're working for you, you dictate the marketable price of your property - not them.

Also the less they do for you, the less you pay them.

eg: No advertising in the local paper, Unaccompanied Viewings = less you pay !

Don't take any crap about multi-agencies, if they want the commission then they'd better sell the place and work it....... :thumbs:

Also ensure that they use an internet portal such as Rightmove.co.uk or Vebra

Guest prescience
As clark354uk said, tell agent A that agent B offered 1.3, then go to the agent B and tell 'em agent A offered 1.2... I'd aim for not more than 1.5, you should easily get 1.3. Never heard of anything less than 1% though

Although cartels are illegal and in no way am I suggesting that estate agents collude.... they will know each other's rates, the market, etc better than Joe Bloggs so would this approach work? It's all worth a punt though, eh, considering the wallah in danger.

The difference between 1% and 1.5% of a 200k house is a nice little earner, Rodders, and I would imagine EAs fight to keep their margin - what say you, Digsy my son?

And at 350k .... :scare: and don't get me started on stamp duty £11000+VAT :scare:

Thnaks for the input. Tim where did you get your fixed rate from, there have been places around here that did that occasionally IIRC

Any more views - I tend to stay in my places for quite a while :surrender: so bit of a shock at the rates applicable

Thnaks for the input. Tim where did you get your fixed rate from, there have been places around here that did that occasionally IIRC

Any more views - I tend to stay in my places for quite a while :surrender: so bit of a shock at the rates applicable

Got my rate from just a small independant agent in the same town as the property I was selling, I did play one off against another though! ;) in this day and age any saving is good , dont forget the solicitors charges as well as Stamp duty,, Best to get a fixed price of them as well, they make Estate agents seem like angels :headhurt: (no offence Digsy :teeth: )

Guest prescience

Got my rate from just a small independant agent in the same town as the property I was selling, I did play one off against another though! ;) in this day and age any saving is good , dont forget the solicitors charges as well as Stamp duty,, Best to get a fixed price of them as well, they make Estate agents seem like angels :headhurt: (no offence Digsy :teeth: )

Cheers, I am onto these guys for solicitors and stamp duty combined - any views?

http://www.qck.com/conveyancing-quote.html

Cheers, I am onto these guys for solicitors and stamp duty combined - any views?

What have they quoted you Dorian? Send me a PM if you like, I'm a Mortgage Broker (if you need that sorting I'm more than happy to do it :teeth: ).

We deal with Conveyancers all the time, what I'd say is that you very much get what you pay for - if they're cheap the are for a reason, either they're very busy and you don't always get a great service or they're not very good. A decent Conveyancer can sometimes be the difference between a sale happening or not, all in my opinion obviously.

Guest prescience

What have they quoted you Dorian? Send me a PM if you like, I'm a Mortgage Broker (if you need that sorting I'm more than happy to do it :teeth: ).

We deal with Conveyancers all the time, what I'd say is that you very much get what you pay for - if they're cheap the are for a reason, either they're very busy and you don't always get a great service or they're not very good. A decent Conveyancer can sometimes be the difference between a sale happening or not, all in my opinion obviously.

Thanks Andy, but if all goes well, I shall be mortgage free :yahoo::thumbs: Can I let you know though, I may need a small token one to tide me over from my London job until I get sorted

Its a move from the shandy-south to the hairy-chest north with all the economic benefits to boot :thumbs:

seem very professional, but hey who knows until you use them ?? where you moving to Dorian?? (if its not top secret of course ?)

Thanks Andy, but if all goes well, I shall be mortgage free :yahoo::thumbs: Can I let you know though, I may need a small token one to tide me over from my London job until I get sorted

Its a move from the shandy-south to the hairy-chest north with all the economic benefits to boot :thumbs:

Fantastic mate, we'll be more than pleased to welcome you into the fold - where you moving to?

Am very jealous if you end up mortgage free, as you say a great benefit of moving north :yahoo: , the biggest one though is that we're much friendlier ;) . Of course if you need anything at all, even some advice or pointers in the right direction I'll be more than happy to do whatever I can :thumbs:

Guest prescience

Its about a 6 month plan ATM Tim, but there are still quite a few hurdles to get over - so still some uncertainty but I have a plan.

Andy, thanks again; we plan to move to the south and east of penrith in order to be near to The Lakes but without paying premium prices again.

No plans as to exact property, but as you note people are way friendlier (Henley is just about the most unfriendly place you can imagine unless you're well in with some locals)

This kind of a place would fit the bill

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails- ... 1&tr_t=buy

Not a done deal as I say, but planning is well advanced :)

Cheers for all the help

Got to concur with most of what's said, D. It's the usual story - you get what you pay for. The cheapest EA will probably be desperate for work and may not pay to market your property in the best places and Andy's spot on when he says a decent solicitor (preferably with a relationship with the EA) can keep the all too fragile conveyancng process in one piece.

EA's rates will vary from city to city so there's no hard and fast rule to what percentage you should pay. Any decent one will know wat his competitors charge and won't undercut by much. Make sure you know how they are going to market the property - someone mentioned Rightmove and Vebra - they should preferably be on both (the internet is essential these days - especially at the top end ;) ) and ensure they are well represented in the local (quality) press.

There's tons of sharks out there so go with a member of the NAEA as you've got some redress if your not happy and they ensure there is a certain level of quality.

You didn't put Ruff wheels on your Zed (sorry Tim :p ) so don't sell yourself short to save a few bob.

Hope that helps, D. Good luck.

PS Maybe we can all have a man's beer when you get up north. :thumbs: