KMH to MPH conversion.. not calibrated correctly?

cb350

The 350z has a number of different trip counters. I've been monitoring the trip counter on the speedo alongside the trip counter on the centre console gauge pod.

What I've noticed is that the trip counter and odometer are actually going up at a slightly faster rate than the trip counter on the centre console.

I'm not even sure how this is possible, I assumed they'd all just use the same speedo pulse, but I think what's going on is the centre console gauge takes the speed reference directly, whereas the speedo and odometer, which were originally in kilometers, have been converted to miles and somehow this is out of calibration.

I've been reading on the web and haven't found a conclusive answer about how the conversion to MPH for a JDM 350z is done. Some say there is a box under the steering wheel, others say it is modified directly on the car's CPU.

Does anyone know how the conversion is done, and if it would be possible to calibrate the trip counters so they all read correctly? Essentially I think my odometer is going up too quickly, so I'm rather keen to put that right!

Chris.

Even UK cars give different readings centre gauges to Speedo ..... I don't think either are that accurate

Really? wow, I thought maybe something was going a bit wrong! If the trip computers use the same sensor for measuring distance, I'd have thought it would be impossible for them to read differently :headhurt:

BulletMagnet: I'm not sure about the speedo gauge, but I'll check to see if it's possible. You can do it with the centre console gauges though and I've already done that.

Really I'm wondering what the process is for conversion from kmh to mph. If there is something in the car I can either replace or recalibrate, then I'd like to do that. Against GPS, the speedo seems to over-read by nearly 10% and this seems to tie in with the over-reading on the speedo's trip counters. I know that speedos do often over-read, but I think this is a bit excessive, especially considering I have one trip counter which seems to read more accurately, I'd just like everything to read by the same amount.

Chris.

5 in stock :thumbs: the car sends the same pulse signal and the clocks do the work for KPH / MPH. In JDM cars they have a module added which amends the pulse so clocks show MPH. So.... a JDM car would need MPH conversion module removing before fitting UK clocks :thumbs:

i have something similar on mine, when my digital speedo says im doing 40 my analog one says 32ish, and so on at all speeds. i think that when the face of the dial was changed the needle wasnt put back on in the correct position. i know my digital one is correct because it matches the speed on the sat nav in my dash and the one on my stereo.

here is a guide to how to fix it viewtopic.php?f=53&t=29598

5 in stock :thumbs: the car sends the same pulse signal and the clocks do the work for KPH / MPH. In JDM cars they have a module added which amends the pulse so clocks show MPH. So.... a JDM car would need MPH conversion module removing before fitting UK clocks :thumbs:

So, to just make sure I understand this correctly - I could replace my KM/H speedo with an MPH speedo and, if I remove the module which amends my original KM/H speedo, it'd work correctly?

I guess I have a couple of questions about this:

1. What would happen to my odometer? Would it still read the correct number of miles, or would it incorrectly assume that my miles were kilometers and then convert it?

2. I understand the same module that modifies the signal to the speedo also delimits the top speed of the car. Would this put the limiter back on and, if so, how would I get the delimiter removed?

well, an UpRev tune sounds like a good idea whatever! :thumbs: I'm over in America at the moment so I'll probably see about doing that when I get back.

both my digital gauge and analog gauge read the same speed - that's one of the odd things about it - how can they read the same, yet the trip counter on the centre console be so different?

I'm wondering if proper a UK speedo would help, but if that resets the odometer, is it easy to reprogram it? Or am I creating a whole lot of hassle for not a lot of reason?