Questions, Questions, Questions

Spill

Hi All

Just need some help on FI, I've decided to DIY the Vortech but at the moment not totally sure what else I'll need either to install or once it's running, BTW I know absolutely nothing about this subject.

1 - Connecting the brains, should I use a separate harness I think someone, Steve perhaps used an autosport thing ?

2 - Gauges are they required and what do they do?

not many questions but there's got to be more answers and things that I've missed

I'm sooo respecting you mate! not knowing anything about it but still wanting to diy! :thumbs:

awesome! :teeth:

I can't be of much help but IIRC Steve-B got an upgraded oil pan (to avoid oil starvation) upgraded lightweight pulley and possibly bigger injectors too?

Surely our resident experts will be along shortly, also did you have a look @ 350z-tech section regarding FI? Not just the forum, also the related guides etc there's LOTS of info there! :thumbs:

Guest prescience

A harness is supplied I believe - see the GUIDES section. This is not a problem.

Gauges are almost essential. I have a Zeitronix unit (see GUIDES section!) but you can buy individual gauges.

The Zeitronix comes with boost (MAP), EGT, AFR and lamdba and can be configured to read RPM - can't remember ECU pin# for RPM offhand. It also hooks up to a laptop (via a 9pin serial connector) for datalogging and review. I like mine a lot and the quality of the sensors is very good apparently.

One problem with individual gauges is that I haven't managed to find a gauge pod suitable for the drivers side (i.e. for RHD). You might be able to source from Australia but no-one in the States knows or can supply - at least when I was looking; may have changed now.

I know Steve-B had DEFI's but he had to fabricate a special 'pod' for his cubby to mount them.

Any more info. you need let me know. I can probably access Steve-Bs install thread since I have key parts saved (its not that explicit in the way that his cats install was though). PM me with your e-mail if you want this.

Edit pin# - see my post

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... ost1845034

Guest prescience

As Val says, a larger oil pan is a nice-to-have but not essential. Steve and I had/have ARC Oil pan but Stephen G is using stock AFAIK.

make sure the exhaust you have is nice and free-flowing too though not as important as per TT

I bought an autosport wiring harness that gives you a full ECU 'breakout' without touching the existing ECU wires and terminals. I can give you a link if you want.

I also bought colder plugs, an oil pan spacer (does the job, quarter of the price of the bigger oil pans), and the essentials are hi-flo cats and a decent exhaust.

Any other q's, just ask... prescience :lol:

Guest prescience

Stephen,

In hindsight I would've gone for a harness but its not an issue really. Another nice-to-have.

On the spacer front, did you not tap into the upper oil pan well above the oil level as Vortech recommend? This was discussed on my350z and the concerted wisdom is that not doing so might invalidate your warranty. Not wanting to worry you or owt!

And +1 on the colder plugs. Denso's (IKH20) are available from oilman and NGK (LFR6AIX-11) from spark-plugs.co.uk

Spill, I'll be interested in following this.

I have never undertaken anything as major as this, and would be a complete novice if I tried now.

I will be interested in seeing just how well you get on, as it is certainly something that may be on the cards for mine once the warranty expires.

I take my hat off to you - that is dedication and determination!

Guest prescience
Cheers guys much appreciated

so

Larger oil pan RECOMMENDED

One step colder plugs ESSENTIAL

Gauges - Zeitronix is that the one with the LCD display? Yes, I have it mounted in the sunglasses holder ESSENTIAL TO HAVE SOME GAUGES

Auto sport harness RECOMMENDED

and possibly

clutch WAIT UNTIL STOCK FAILS

flywheel WAIT UNTIL STOCK FAILS

275 tyres?????? ALMOST ESSENTIAL FOR TRACTION; ESSENTIAL FOR TT

The Zeitronix comes with boost (MAP), EGT, AFR and lamdba and can be configured to read RPM - can't remember ECU pin# for RPM offhand. It also hooks up to a laptop (via a 9pin serial connector) for datalogging and review. I like mine a lot and the quality of the sensors is very good apparently.

so with gauges we can see whats happening to the car in realtime, I know this is a dumb question but why do we need to know?

Guest prescience

Primarily you need to know that your Air/Fuel ratio is in the safe region (<12) when you're in mid to high boost. The Vortech (as controlled by the SplitSec piggy-back) runs extremely rich in this region (low 10s) i.e. extremely safe

You don't want to be detonating and you need to know the engine is getting enough fuel to run correctly.

Also, knowledge of EGTs and variations from the norm can indicate a problem

Its peace of mind stuff really and you don't need to be logging all the time by any means.

Plus the headunit looks bling :p

Guest prescience
Exhaust I've got a true dual invida G200 which I hope will be up to it, and a couple of kinetix cats on top of the wardrobe (in the garage)

Do you keep your clothes in the garage and your car in the house :lol:

Invidia - don't know much about this - but true dual is good is this the VERY LOUD invidia (which I think is G200?)

Edit -> G200 from your post doh

The Vortech (as controlled by the SplitSec piggy-back) runs extremely rich in this region (low 10s) i.e. extremely safe

Talking with a tuner in Brum yesterday, he said that American maps and in particular vortech are prone to fuel problems as the standard map is set for 100ron petrol, I couldn't comment on what he said as TBH I don't yet understand (I will though) so if anyone can confirm or not, I'd be interested to find out if this guy knows what he's talking about because I may try him to tune it.

Exhaust I've got a true dual invida G200 which I hope will be up to it, and a couple of kinetix cats on top of the wardrobe (in the garage)

Do you keep your clothes in the garage and your car in the house :lol:

Invidia - don't know much about this - but true dual is good is this the VERY LOUD invidia (which I think is G200?)

Edit -> G200 from your post doh

:lol: LOL it was just somewhere to dump the thing, have tried going to the tip in a zed :lol:

nah it's the quite one the N1's :bose:

Guest prescience

Completely wrong I would say. The americans usually use 93 MON which is about equivalent to 98 RON

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117 :p

In any event, its runs mega-rich in the mid-high boost as I say and the timing is retarded (about an extra 10 degs at redline) so I can see no problems and have never heard of this.

When you come to tune it, you will adjust fuel and timing to deliver a safe AFR which will be leaner than the ultra-rich default but in the <12 range.

Guest prescience

Timing maps showing 6 degs retard at redline. This data is from the base Vortech files in the SplitSec

3D version and sample at 6.5psi

• 2 months later...

who is reputable and trusted for an SC install? Are that nissan dealer in mersyside any good?

What SC is recommended for the Z?

I keep seeing comments on how the torque delivier is changed drasitcally with the SC but does it mean its worse low down or is it just flat but much more of it? How does it translate in road driving?

Guest prescience

who is reputable and trusted for an SC install?

Abbey did mine and StephenG's Vortech; they are actually HKS dealers. Think Mr F does Stillen

Are that nissan dealer in mersyside any good?

Middlehursts you mean. Probably OK but I don't know. They are HKS dealers (used to be Stillen and did Neil B's car on the old forum)

What SC is recommended for the Z?

Vortech or HKS are mainly used in UK. Stillen is OK but you must have an intercooler (otherwise power drops off dramatically when hot). Stillen and HKS are hard to tune (the latter insofar as only a Pro dealer can) - Vortech should be easy in theory but Abbey have tried with out much success; Stephen G can advise

I keep seeing comments on how the torque delivier is changed drasitcally with the SC but does it mean its worse low down or is it just flat but much more of it?

That's crap TBH. You don't lose any torque at low revs like some poeple try to maintain but clearly you get more power and torque with revs with any centrifugal SC (Vortech HKS) - that's the nature of it

People also say stuff like 'You have to rev the nuts off the car with SC vs TT', implying that

a. They don't use high revs with a TT - yeah right :lol:

b. You are somehow putting more strain on the engine - not true, both systems are putting a lot of extra strain on a stock motor - just look at the Hp delivered.

How does it translate in road driving?

Like stock only more so, power delivery is smoothe rather than kick-in-the-back type. The great thing about the stock Z is that it doesn't feel that fast but is, its the same smoothness with SC.

If you want a muel-kick go TT, but drive both first yourself at a meet

This has been a topic of much heated debate in the US. First of all I want to say that the Vortech is a very nice supercharger kit and this post is meant in no way to say its a bad FI solution for your Z. That being said before I went FI on my Z I did alot of research and came to the conclusion that if you were not willing to spend the extra money to build the engine, due to the weak point of the connecting rod bolts, turbo was not a reliable choice for the Z. Then I started researching superchargers, the ATI Procharger had timing issues and had popped alot of engines, the Vortech was nice but I was not pleased with where the powerband was in the RPM band. The stillen is a very nice supercharger and has linear power but the hood was not something I was willing to put on my car. IMHO its ugly. So I had just about given up when I came across the HKS Supercharger, the HP peaks much sooner in the RPM band and the TQ was very nice. Rotrex makes the supercharger unit which is used on BMW. So that was the one I went with, and could not be more pleased. I have had it on for almost 2 years, no lights, no problems, it has been a great supercharger. I have added a couple of modifications to mine for a little more power, I have the Nismo Cams, AAM Plenum Spacer, RC 440cc injectors, to do away with the extra injectors that comes with the HKS Kit, doing this allows for more precise fuel control. The car is tuned with HKS F-Con along with the HKS Navigator, to help her breathe better I put the Nismo Exhaust on. The great thing about the HKS is that it is a self contained system, it has its own oiling system with a oil cooler, it does not run off of engine oil, no tapping the oil pan. As a result the Supercharger stays very cool , and no power loss due to heat soak. On to the power I have 335 RWHP 325TQ here are some calculations that were done by a 350Z tech member using dyno sheets from a Vortech and a HKS supercharger

In a comparison between a 401whp Vortech and a 329whp HKS SC.

Calculations are under the curve, or "mean" hp/torque. Basically the avg. hp and torque each unit makes under Peak power.

The Vortech avg. HP = 268

The HKS avg. HP = 264

The Vortech avg. Torque = 286

The HKS avg. Torque = 297

What does this mean? The HKS SC ... Makes more torque under the curve and is down on PEAK power by 72whp...

Short answer. HKS makes more useable power. And does so more efficiently. The power curve is better

That being said, in real life, I have raced APS single turbo car, and a Vortech supercharged car. The Vortech I can get such a big jump on from the take off it gets ugly. The APS was about 3 car lenths up to about 80 the slowly up to 140 he caught up I had him by a fender at 140. This is not to say that there are not Vortech cars and APS Single cars that would beat me. But the initial power on the HKS is incredible and I could not be more pleased. Again this was in no way to say HKS is better than any other FI kit, its just to be informative. :thumbs: