UK roads surfaces

jim

I caught a bit of a TV programme the other night which was looking at the abysmal state of Britain's roads and the responsibility of the utility companies for much of the damage done. I think all of us who drive sports cars with firm suspension know exactly what problems this can cause. :scare:

Two points occured to me afterwards -

1. Why is it the case that these companies have an absolute right to dig up the roads, often without very much notice?

2. Why is it necessary to put pipes, cables etc. under the roads? Surely the likelihood of damage would be much less if they were under the pavements instead?

Can anybody enlighten us?

For the first point I reckon it is the local council that gives the final go ahead. In my job I've had to get cables laid and council wouldn't approve till the weekend. Something to do with road being a red route.

I also reckon the council should be checking if the work is essential, could be doubled up with other companies usage and to also check it is left in a suitable state.

I blame the council for most things......my one is run by idiots. :angry:

I caught a bit of a TV programme the other night which was looking at the abysmal state of Britain's roads and the responsibility of the utility companies for much of the damage done. I think all of us who drive sports cars with firm suspension know exactly what problems this can cause. :scare:

Two points occured to me afterwards -

1. Why is it the case that these companies have an absolute right to dig up the roads, often without very much notice?

2. Why is it necessary to put pipes, cables etc. under the roads? Surely the likelihood of damage would be much less if they were under the pavements instead?

Can anybody enlighten us?

if anyone can answer those questions Jim , they would get my vote, the councils round here are run by jobs worth morons..who couldnt find their own arse with both hands, never mind answer questions :rant:

quote]

if anyone can answer those questions Jim , they would get my vote, the councils round here are run by jobs worth morons..who couldnt find their own arse with both hands, never mind answer questions :rant:

Great saying,

Ok it's quite simple, as above, but councils are run by lazy corrupt leaches, everything is relative, if you award a contract to a kerb stone or stupid digital sign company, you get a nice back hander, and probabley get to take your saggy orange wife to Benidorm more often, this doesnt happen so much when utility companies are involved as it too high level. Councils are a goldmine for those who are willing to dip their fingers in the till,and ehats worseis that even if they get caught they just get moved sideways, as everyones on it and they are all protected by the sameblood sucking unions.

We get shafted more than George M!cheal

:rant:

We had an instance up here in Aberdeen a few years ago when a roundabout was dug up and rebuild when a new supermarket was build only to be dug up again within 2 week of completion! It was finally opened months later!

Insane!