My 350z wont start :(

SteveC123

Hey everyone,

After a very cold morning -8, i went to start the Z to go to work. It refused to start it just made a click sound from the engine, then all the power goes. All the light on dash will turn on but when i go to start it, it cuts out. Anyway i thought it would be the battery so i got a new one and swapped it. But i get the exact same problem as before.

it seems like the power is cutting out when i try to start it. its like its shorting out or something.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

Steve

I'm not going to be very helpful as other more techy people will know what they're talking about, but seeing as it's your first post, you are pressing the clutch, and you do have petrol in the car, right? Have you recently bought some cheap petrol (eg. Asda)? If so, it may well have frozen all the way through to the line and the click you're hearing is starter motor/ignition trying to spark something with nothing coming through.

Hey everyone,

After a very cold morning -8, i went to start the Z to go to work. It refused to start it just made a click sound from the engine, then all the power goes. All the light on dash will turn on but when i go to start it, it cuts out. Anyway i thought it would be the battery so i got a new one and swapped it. But i get the exact same problem as before.

it seems like the power is cutting out when i try to start it. its like its shorting out or something.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

Steve

If it is not a bad connection at either the battery or the starter motor then it will more than likely be the battery or the starter motor itself.

Make sure that the battery terminal connections are all real good.

Run a meter across the new battery to make sure that it is fully charged.

If you are unfortunate to require a starter motor then I have preowned units in stock all good to go.

Just :pmzmanalex: if I can help you further mate.

Oh and welcome to the forum Steve. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

wow fast replies, yer got the clutch down when starting it and didn't put any cheap petrol in and its warmed up now so i doubt its frozen.

its showing 12volts on the gauge in the car, was thinking it was something with the starter motor will have to try that GIXXERUK

thanks

Right i didn't think it was possible but you can bump start a 350z with some help from my dad and brother. Took it for a spin made sure the battery was charging came back stopped the engine, guess what it wont start so it looks like its the starter motor.

So how much is new/preownd ones? are they difficult to replace? Any guides out there?

Thanks ZMANALEX maybe looking to get a one.

Update: I was about to get my car on the axle stands today to take the starter motor out. But before i did i tried starting it...

and it magical roars back into life! :yahoo:

I turned it off and on several times and it's fine, so now i'm confused.

Any ideas why this would happen?

Its been warmer than it has been the last couple of days so I'm not sure if its cold that caused it???

Anyway thanks for everyones help. :thumbs: