do zeds have a 2 way or 1.5 way lsd?

big.h

i thought they were 1.5 way, but must admit i don't know about the LSD on the zed, never played with it.

1.5 and 2ways lock on deceleration aswell as im sure the oem one only locks on accell. Im sure someone with more knowledge will be here soon. :thumbs:

I'm interested to know this too. Had the first MOT of my ownership yesterday and the tester asked what it was, as to whether to put it on the brake rollers or not.

We decided it was safer not too. I think that pleased him as he then had to blast it up the road :teeth:

I'm interested to know this too. Had the first MOT of my ownership yesterday and the tester asked what it was, as to whether to put it on the brake rollers or not.

We decided it was safer not too. I think that pleased him as he then had to blast it up the road :teeth:

The MOT tester's guide to different models should have told him NOT to use the rollers, it can damage the diff :thumbs:

1 way (Acceleration only) viscous diff, all the aftermarket ones are 1.5 way or 2 way.

+1

Either way the standard viscous diff is pants. My change to a Kaaz diff (1.5way) was a massive improvement over standard - though I suspect that the viscous fluid has sheared a few times to many which meant I had effectively an open diff - and I also expect that any Zed more than a couple of years old with 30K miles + has similar issues. The OE viscous diff is a sealed unit and is not serviceable (apart from changing the oil around the unit).

so the standard diff is crap in other words :lol:

what does a kaaz 1.5 way cost these days?

I'm not a big fan of the OE diff - its better than nothing when new but once the fluid shears then its worthless IMO. I ran almost a full second quicker on the 1/4 mile with the Kaaz diff over the OE one and its been by far and away the best mod I made for track use. If I was to start modding the Zed all over again the first things I'd address on the Zed would be Coilovers & ARB's, Diff and Brake set-up (in that order).

The Kaaz comes as a 2 way diff but I got an additional piece to convert to 1.5way to make it more suited to road driving. Total cost for diff, some extra bits and bobs (10 ring gear bolts, Circlips x2 , side oil seals x2 and side bearings x 2 + shims ), Kaaz Gear oil and of course the set-up of the diff ran me to over 1K euro - so around 900GBP. Important that the diff is set-up correctly - on the road you wouldn't realise I had an aftermarket diff (apart from locking/scrabbling at low speed) - none of those tell-tale bangs you often hear on poorly set-up diffs.

It really does surprise me that more people on here don't upgrade the diff before adding big power forced induction.