Exhaust wrap anyone tried it?

stanski

I recently purchased some exhaust wrap ( woven fibreglass) material that I wrapped around my camper van's heat exchangers in a feeble attempt to improve the heat output ( not tried it yet since fitting) but has anyone done this on your normal exhaust and did it make a difference and also is it durable enough to last once you spill oil on it for example?

Thanks

I've not used any on the zed but I did use some whilst building a race car at uni - the exhaust was rather close to the fuel tank and so we needed to try and shield that part. I didn't realise before using it though just how bad it is to rub it on your skin, I was working with bare arms and when I finished it felt like they were on fire, the fibreglass content isn't good for your skin.

One thing to be aware of is that although it will insulate the section of exhaust you wrap it round, it may result in other sections of the exhaust getting hotter, this is our car on the dyno at uni:

DSCF0379.jpg

We were running too lean at the time but we'd never had the exhaust get that hot before!

eKgshIurJI.jpg

Thanks for replies yes be careful with it being fibreglass, I wore latex gloves but that pesky stuff gets through!!

In my case if you know your air-cooled engines the exhaust has cool air blowing over it in the heat exchanger hence heating it up and piping it to the cab 50 bleeding feet away!

So my theory is to retain as much ofthat heat to keep the air as warm as possible.

I've insulated the piping running under the chassis with b&q's radiator reflective polystyrene foil sheet which is fine further up but obviously near engine something fire and heat poof was needed? Let's see I it helps and worse case unwrap in summer if engine starts to get too hot?

Btw if anyone is after this stuff I got mine from the manufacturer free post and stainless ties excellent quick delivery. http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk :thumbs:

I doubt the zed needs wrap as it's a well sorted engine / exhaust design I think but just wondered if anyone knows about this stuff you lot would? :teeth: