Sidewalls.. RE40A vs RE50A

CMR

Quick question for people who have had both.

Are the 50's sidewalls still as stiff as the 40's?

Hopefully the answer will be yes, as really want to go back to stiff sidewalls because these falkens are just not for me :headhurt:

pop some more psi in the falkens?

I had no problems with them to be honest, yes they don't grip the best in the wet but I have no intention of driving the same in the wet as dry. However they were easily predictable and the sidewalls were rock solid which I really miss with the falkens.. too squishy like Toyos etc.

Edit: Dblock, tried upto 40 psi and the sidewalls are still soft. Entering corners at any pace in the dry and the car almost does a double entry in whilst the sidewalls roll to absorb.. they grip well don't get me wrong but the feeling is not nice.

Yeah I tried the T1-Rs and thought they were too soft and not very responsive.

I have the RE050A and they are in a different class to the RE040. Make sure you get the RE050A not just the plain RE050 though.

In the summer I run 38 front and 35 rear. Winter, 35 all round just gives a bit more front end grip with the sacrifice of some responsivness.

If you like the predictability of the 040 then you will love the 050 which is grippier in both wet and dry conditions and with a stiff side wall to keep things predictable and progressive :thumbs:

Personally i think the 040 is better than falkens on the heavy zed but it needs heat in them to perform due to having a harder/tougher compound. The upshot is very good all weather grip and longevity :p . the 050 is an evolution of this but more performance oriented and falls in the high performance bracket as the MPS2-3, CSC II-III, Pirelli P-zero range etc.