Alloy Wheel Cleaning

jay3032

woooooooooo, step away from the autosol!

First thing you need to determine if the wheel rim is just polished or if it's lacquered.

When you have determined this then you have a few options.

Polished - Meguiars Metal Polysh is good and fairly inexpensive and works wonders on exhausts and polished rims. Then just give the wheel a good clean then top off the whole lot with rim wax or poorboys wheel sealant. The metal polysh leaves protection but it's worth topping up.

Lacquered - Clean using car shampoo and work up to a wheel cleaner if it still requires work. Then top off the whole lot with rim wax or poorboys wheel sealant

First thing you need to determine if the wheel rim is just polished or if it's lacquered.

Polished - Meguiars Metal Polysh is good and fairly inexpensive and works wonders on exhausts and polished rims. Then just give the wheel a good clean then top off the whole lot with rim wax or poorboys wheel sealant. The metal polysh leaves protection but it's worth topping up.

Lacquered - Clean using car shampoo and work up to a wheel cleaner if it still requires work. Then top off the whole lot with rim wax or poorboys wheel sealant

I knew somebody with much more experience would be along. :lol::lol::blush:

Is the Meg metal polish good for stainless?

I knew somebody with much more experience would be along. :lol::lol::blush:

Is the Meg metal polish good for stainless?

I use it on the exhaust and my polished rims, as long as the surface isn't painted. It does have protection in it and a bit of cut so is ideal when a full on autosol isn't required.

You can use an APC (all purpose cleaner) on the tyres and the arch liners to clean them up. My favourite tyre dressing is by Blackfire but the purple Meguiars stuff is pretty good.

The centres of the wheels can be done with car shampoo. If that isn't strong enough then I use bilberry which has been well diluted.

Check out envy valeting (forum sponsors) for products as Tim will have what you need. He does a lot of Espuma products. Oh and order a set of detailing brushes while you are at it as they are brilliant!

• 1 month later...

For general wheel cleaning i recommend Espuma Revolution. I brought a bottle from Tim (Envy Valeting) and have been very pleased with it. I used it the other day i couldn't believe how quickly and easy the dirt came off without having to scrub it, so much better than the Autoglym, Megs and Dodo Juice wheel cleaners i've used before. Should also save money longer term as it dilutes to 1/10 so the bottle should last a while.

• 1 year later...

There stuff might be different now but before it was acid. A strong one at that. First few months would be ok but after that they will dull and be left with little protection.

Wonder Wheels always worked for me although can't be sure if it causes long-term damage. The BMW salesman tried to convince me that only their cleaner was safe on their alloys

"Too much is never enough"