Kindle

Gurjeet

Any one got one? Thoughts on same? Cant psychologically justify £500 plus on an iPad, but a kindle 3G seems like a good punt at £150. I am aware they are fundamentally different things, but eBooks are the direction I want to go in and from what I hear, the basic free 3g web browsing would be good for email/reading news website on the go.

My Wife (who knows about these things) did some research before buying a reader.

She brought a Sony, and is very pleased with it. Others with alternative readers when they see it say that they wish they had brought the Sony.

The real decider as far as I can understand was that with the Sony you could import books from many different sources, whereas with the Kindle you are somewhat restricted (Amazon only, I think).

You definitely don't want one that has a keyboard, as it just takes up space and serves no real purpose.

Hope this helps...

S.

I've got a kindle 3G and really like it.

You can import quite a few file types direct or you can email others (Microsoft Word, PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files) to your kindle some work better than others due to formatting.

Most of the books I've got on mine at the moment are copies of books I already own (as my bookshelves are straining and I could do with boxing them up) which I've downloaded and converted (.lit, .epub, .txt etc.) as there are so many kindle users out there there are conversion tools for a lot of the popular file types.

I have quite a few technical books on there and I like that you can insert your own notes if you want or search for keywords which make things easier.

Of all the readers I looked at the main thing for me was how easy was it to read and as that's what you're buying it for and I thought that the kindle was the best. It's easy to read

all the time from bright sunlight to table lamp before I go to sleep. Yes you are a bit more limited on the book types it supports natively but there are loads of apps to convert other types

if required, one of the best is Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/about) and there is now one that you can load onto the kindle to convert epub and pdf's on the fly called Savory http://blog.fsck.com/2009/04/savory.html.

Neither of these with break DRM'd files which is of course naughty.