OIL and HEAT do I actually need a cooler?

andlid

Some interesting reading there but I think its safe to say that probably the first thing you should buy is an oil temp guage then you'll know if you need an oil cooler or not. I was running up to 135degrees C on my last track day after just a few laps and I had to bring in the Zed to cool down so I reckon a thermostatic oil cooler is important to me if I want to do trackdays.

But like the man says if your NA Zed is running less than 100degrees C on the track then I wouldn't worry.

However I wouldn't discount the fact that high engine and high oil temps increases wear on your engine and ancillaries - getting the correct oil type for your driving style may also help.

And no matter what anyone tells me I'm not about to rev the nads off my Zed at low oil temp - I would not have the confidence that the oil is doing its job correctly untill up to temp and I use high quality oils like Motul, Silkolene and occasionally (when I can't get anything else) Redline oils.

I would have always been of the belief that if the oil is not at the correct working temp and surely therefore viscosity that you shouldn't be working the engine hard.

i need a smilie with a fishing rod with bait on the end.....

:lol::lol::lol:

You pair and your crazy chatting antics.

Good write up though Ceaser.......don't take it personally......these kind of threads are meant in the way they are intended - to open up a discussion.

I think what ceaser is saying is true about the overall performance of synthetic oil and though they have a good performance envelope there is still a small amount of engine wear albeit far lower than with mineral oil, so letting the oil come up to optimum temp before letting hell break loose is sensible and important for engine longevity or performance.

WRT oil temps at the track the same applies and as noted by Steady and djtimo you tend to see temps of circa 135c on the track and though the oil can deal with this range it is not optimal so a thermostated oil cooler that maintains the oil in the optimum range is advantageous especilally in endurance racing. i have also read that 90-105 deg c is optimal for most modern engines so why not keep it within that range.

i also do agree with wasting oil by too frequent changes when it still has useful life and i am guilty of this too but again i see it as cheap insurance. It will be more effective just to change the filter and get rid of the particules and contamination but really how do you do that without changing the oil too?

The same applies on many things we do on our cars to improve performance. this is possible becasue the manufacters leave a lot of leeway to ensure longevity, meet regulation or reliability but you can always improve on it if you go the right way about it ;)

Quality post, Ceasar.

Plenty of well made points I hadn't really considered or understood before reading that. Particularly about how and why Synthetic oil is so vastly different and modern compared to mineral based types.

One question though - what does 'PAO' stand for? You said it plenty but never explain what it's short for! :doh:

Another question - what emp should an oil cooler operate at? Over 100 degrees, to allow the water in the oil to evaporate?

Looking forward to 'Part 2'! :thumbs: