Something odd...

neo-ninja

So the last few days i have found my rear window (boot) to get completely misted up on the inside and it just wont shift even with the ac on and on fresh air option rather then recirculate. The front of the car will clear almost instantly as soon as i do this but not tha back...

Very odd it never used to do it and I dont remember it doing it last year, i put the heater on the window to but because its inside it takes ages to clear.

Any ideas? I did clean the window recently with glass cleaner on the inside as this normally helpes, helped on front windows but not rear...

Possibly two things.

1. You may have damaged the window eliment when cleaning it.

2. As many people do, they think that the AC is there as a de-mister when in fact it reduces the ambient temperature within the cars cabin thus lowering the glass temperature sufficiently that when your warm moist breath fills the cabin and comes into contact with the cold glass condensation is formed thus the misting affect. I may be wrong though. :cloud9::cloud9:

Possibly two things.

2. As many people do, they think that the AC is there as a de-mister when in fact it reduces the ambient temperature within the cars cabin thus lowering the glass temperature sufficiently that when your warm moist breath fills the cabin and comes into contact with the cold glass condensation is formed thus the misting affect. I may be wrong though. :cloud9::cloud9:

1- Yep could be that.

2- You are wrong :p condensation happens because of the temp difference between the glass and ambient air. cold glass, warm and moist air. Both AC and demister fan will demist the glass but blower is faster. The AC drys and cool the the air so equalising temps. The fan blows off the moisture from the glass and the element in the rear screen is a heater :p As a matter of fact both ac/blower come on same time in the zed and most modern cars when you set the dials to demist function.

3- Make sure you have not soaked wet the boot carpet/floor accounting for extra moisture hence condensation or have leaking boot rubber seals which can also lead to water ingress and the samething. Also check foot well for leaks which can happen when door seals are incompetent.

4 - Check you are using the right button to demist the rear ;)

Elements still work fine as you can see the band around each when heated where it has cleared.

As for leaks the boot is bone dry...

All very odd maybe i will see how it is over the next week. Im not really sure why it doesnt clear faster which is odd... and really why it has suddenly started..

Possibly two things.

2- You are wrong :p condensation happens because of the temp difference between the glass and ambient air. cold glass, warm and moist air. Both AC and demister fan will demist the glass but blower is faster. The AC drys and cool the the air so equalising temps. The fan blows off the moisture from the glass and the element in the rear screen is a heater :p As a matter of fact both ac/blower come on same time in the zed and most modern cars when you set the dials to demist function.

The air con lowers the temperature of the air, thus lowering its moisture content(hence condensation from bottom of the car) When the air then heats back up, its ability to hold moisture is improved...

Think of it as a bath, full to the top with water (air 100% saturated), Then lower the bath so water comes out of it (cooling of the air)

Then make the bath back upto its original size, it can now be filled with more water (air less saturated now, so it now has the ability to absorb more water)

sorry its hard to explain without using technical terms, its all to do with the psychrometrics and characteristics of air. Air has a greater ability to hold more water vapour at a higher temperature, dehumidify and then humidify.

I would check that your aircon is draining the moisture off correctly. Locate the drain tube and check it isn't blocked. This tends to happen when the aircon is effectively still blowing back moisture into the car.

And aircon is basically a fridge and dehumidifier in one. The removal or condensation is almost entirely down to the dehumidifying bit. The condensation in the first place is a combination of moisture in the air being warmer than the surface it rests on. :)

I would check that your aircon is draining the moisture off correctly. Locate the drain tube and check it isn't blocked. This tends to happen when the aircon is effectively still blowing back moisture into the car.

And aircon is basically a fridge and dehumidifier in one. The removal or condensation is almost entirely down to the dehumidifying bit. The condensation in the first place is a combination of moisture in the air being warmer than the surface it rests on. :)

+1

also there is no cabin filter to the previous post