Cam Shaft problems - please help!

paul woodchurch

I'm new to this website so apologise in advance for any misguided info i put on the forum but i am in need of some help and advice.

I drive a 57 (2007) plate 350z that has done 68, 000 miles (i like to drive it a lot!). Here is a brief synopsis of the problem:

Last week i lost all power after doing a constant 90mph (i set cruise control) on the motor way for about 45mins - it was late at night and the road was empty. I have taken the car to a dealer and have been told i have broken the cam shaft on the number 2 bank resulting in damage to several valves. This will cost apporxiamtely £2500 to repair (of which £1500 is on new parts).

Problem is the exact same thing happened precisely 18 months ago (32,000 miles ago) when i was going down the motor way at 90mph with cruise control set. At that time i was told by the mechanic at the dealership that this was extremely rare occurance, to the point that members of nissan high-tech team came down to see the 'crack in the cam shaft'. They reported it was a problem only really seen in track cars (i don't do track days!). All the repairs were performed under warrenty, although i did log a complaint with nissan customer services as it took 2 months to repair due to problems with the new parts arriving form Amsterdam.

My concern is that as i have done more than 60, 000 miles so i am no longer covered by my warrenty. Also the 12 month warrenty for the new parts fitted 18 months ago for the same problem has now expired.

1) Is this a 'rare problem' or have others had similar problems with their 350z?

2) What can i do regarding the repair as i do not feel i should be paying £2500 as it seems an obvious manufacturing fault with my car?

The dealer has advised i contact nissan customer services as nissan have been known to do 'goodwill gestures' for similar problems in the past, which i have. They are assessing the case and have referred it to there high-tech team..... i am awating a reply from them as we speak.

Is there any more i can do?

What if it happens again in 18 months time after another 30, 000 miles......??

Your help and advice is really appreciated!

Good luck with Nissan Customer Services. :thumbs:

If push does come to shove and you find that Nissan are not cooperative, then help is on hand as I have plenty low mileage preowned cyl. heads, camshafts and valves available.

In stock and good to go same/next day.

If you have no joy with Nissan then drop me a pm if you would like me to help you further.

Alex. :)

Needless to say i have no intention of setting the cruise to 90mph again any time soon :doh:

Thanks for the heads-up on the parts zmanalex, I will be in touch if Nissan dont provide me with a satisfactory outcome in the near future.

I've never heard of the issue before either, but if Nissan dont come up with a decent goodwill gesture, definitely speak to zmanalex above as he will be able to give you a much better price/service than any dealer. :thumbs: