Definitive detailing guide?

Stew

Firstly, what you apply the products with. Wash mitt (rather than a sponge), two buckets (one for soapy water, one for non-soapy to rinse the mitt), and lots of cloths and pads for applying various products.

Personally, wheel cleaner is water. Every wheel cleaner is acidic in some way and in my experience it's impossible to ever truly get it all off. Then I use AutoGlym Wheel Detailer (I think, only just started using it). Great stuff.

Paint work itself, system should be clay bar - polish - wax / protector. That doesn't need to be done every time. Depends what sort of finish you're after which can come down to personal preference. I like Auto Glym, some like Zaino, Megs, Zymol etc etc. You can try each one and choose a favourite! :thumbs:

Is there anything specific you want to know? I could blab forever about this!!

I basically use megs everything. Got all the two buckets stuff, I dab dry it with a water magnet etc etc. My mate is a detailer (not a valeter!) He told me all that stuff and would give me into trouble if I didn't do it!

I also use water to clean the wheels as they are polished. I'll try the autoglym stuff.

Is megs polish any good? I use the wax but haven't tried the two stage polish stuff?

The AutoGlym stuff for the wheels does seem to actually do something with brake dust not being such a pain to get off. Smells like a concentrated Show Shine.

Never used Megs at length. Auto Glym have a new Extra Deep Shine polish out specifically for new / dark cars. I think it's top notch! :thumbs:

See the thread I started about giving the Elise it's winter coat in this section.....

I'm gutted I missed prime car cleaning day. Drove to work this morning for a 12 hour shift of reservoir analysis when I could have been cleaning my car! No!

I bought a 3 stage polish made by megs. I have some extra shine in my box already. I'll have to try it on the Z too!

• 4 months later...

Top Tip from me would have to be Autosol for the exhaust - awesome product. B)

I'm into my megiuars at the moment, using most of the NXT range, the mits, Scratch X etc.

I've used Autoglym too, and to be honest there's not a great deal of difference. I would say that the NXT shampoo beats the autoglym because it seems to rinse easier and clearer. (apparently it has a water softener)

Interestingly, the NXT wax is so mild that it doesn't actually remove water marks, where as autoglym deep shine stuff (black label) will.

I really like the Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care, and the Bumper Care stuff is awesome. (for the black platic around the wing mirrors - takes it back to jet black!)

The megiuars NXT glass cleaner has the edge over the autoglym, purely on 'useability' grounds.

All subjective really I guess :) ...and of course, all good fun :yahoo:

Top Tip from me would have to be Autosol for the exhaust - awesome product. B)

I'm into my megiuars at the moment, using most of the NXT range, the mits, Scratch X etc.

I've used Autoglym too, and to be honest there's not a great deal of difference. I would say that the NXT shampoo beats the autoglym because it seems to rinse easier and clearer. (apparently it has a water softener)

Interestingly, the NXT wax is so mild that it doesn't actually remove water marks, where as autoglym deep shine stuff (black label) will.

I really like the Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care, and the Bumper Care stuff is awesome. (for the black platic around the wing mirrors - takes it back to jet black!)

The megiuars NXT glass cleaner has the edge over the autoglym, purely on 'useability' grounds.

All subjective really I guess :) ...and of course, all good fun :yahoo:

Heard a lot about Autosol, am currently on Brasso, and I tell thee it's awesome!! And very cheap from the supermarket!! :D

The shampoo rinsing is interesting, as I find it varies massively on what state the finish inder the grime is in. If I've waxed the car recently then it comes off dead easily, if I've negelected it (2 weeks!!) then it is noticeable.

Careful when comparing NXT wax to AutoGlym polish. The polish has a mild cut in it and isn't the same as a wax. Wax shouldn't have a cut in it and should add to a polished surface. So if you used the Glym polish and then the wax, the finish will be better. :)

Completely agree on the Vinyl and Rubber care - use under the bonnet for great results! ;)

As for the NXT overall, a mate of mine did his Puma from start to finish in that and we were disappointed next to other cars. Did it again with a mix of pother products from different manufacturers and the result was stunning. B)

Totally subjective, sad, but fun!! :blush::D

Currently i am using NXT gen car wash and wax.

I think it does a good job but i am now after a polish to give it that extra bit of gloss and shine.

ANy ideas? I was thinking Autoglym show shine but im not 100% sure.

Any ideas Detailing boys?

I think it does a good job but i am now after a polish to give it that extra bit of gloss and shine.

Hi mate,

A polish will have a cut in it and should be used before waxing, after claying / washing. AutoGlym show shine is a quick spray that you use in between monthly waxing efforts (for example) and in itself it neither a polish or a wax. More a water spot remover that adds a tiny bit to the shine. I love it in the summer to keep the car look good each day!

For a polish, I'm using AutoGlym Extra Deep Shine at the moment. Designed for newer cars it works wonders over SRP. As for other polishes, I'm sure others will be along with how much or a pain AG is to use ;) plus some other suggestions.

:)

Hi mate,

A polish will have a cut in it and should be used before waxing, after claying / washing. AutoGlym show shine is a quick spray that you use in between monthly waxing efforts (for example) and in itself it neither a polish or a wax. More a water spot remover that adds a tiny bit to the shine. I love it in the summer to keep the car look good each day!

For a polish, I'm using AutoGlym Extra Deep Shine at the moment. Designed for newer cars it works wonders over SRP. As for other polishes, I'm sure others will be along with how much or a pain AG is to use ;) plus some other suggestions.

Cheers dude, when i used the sample of AG SRP you saw the difference it made on my bonnet, does the EDS have a better and deeper shine?

Hi mate,

Cheers dude, when i used the sample of AG SRP you saw the difference it made on my bonnet, does the EDS have a better and deeper shine?

IMO Louis yes, it does. It needs finishing off, with a sealant / protector / glaze / wax, but it does do wonders from what I've seen. :thumbs: