Castle Combe 10/9 - Captain v. Captain Sensible

captain

What a fantastic day. :scare: Only about 15 cars there so 2 organised sessions (about 15 laps each as opposed to the usual 7) and then open pit for the rest of the day. :thumbs:

Me and Joel did about 120 miles (65 laps) and only finished 'cos we were knackered. The cars didn't miss a beat and it was really intreresting comparing a basic JDM '03 auto with an '06 UK manual GT. Mind you, both of us have a couple of mods.

Great battles with Impreza, Focus ST, Golf GTi, modded Rover, Porsche 928S4. Also Tay and a "mystery guest" turned up to make the day complete. :ninja:

I did 3.4 km/l (8 mpg) :lol::lol: but couldn't get near my best time of 1:27 from a hot day in April. I think my best was 1:29 but I have got about 2 hours of video to trawl through so there may be a gem in there. I tried a much lower tyre pressure (about 27 psi) than normal and I think I had too much grip for my levels of courage. Set the 1:27 with 35 psi and 2-up.

Joel was a superstar seeing as it was his first time on track. Mind you, trying to keep up with a salty sea-dog does have it's consequences........................................ :drive1

2:32:06 for sadists. Sorry for the shakyness. Camera taped to underside of rear hatch and a bit loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzau11WQpcE

It was indeed a great day Captain, depsite my couple of offs. Looking back I didn't get the line right on that corner which is why I went off. Never mind, it was only my first sesion on track! My 'Lewis Hamilton' moment later in the day was a lot more heart stopping! :drive1

I was really impressed with how the cars performed on track. So much grip going around the corners and even when the grip started to run out it (mostly!) wasn't a problem to get the car back under control. It really made me realise these cars are incredibly capable machines and I'm really loking to heading back to the track.

If anyone is toying with the idea of going on a track day they should just do it. I was a little apprehensive before, but after a few laps I was hooked. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on for sure!

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on for sure!

Ah there you go! That's why you couldn't keep up.

I stripped off in the car before each session to save a few pounds. :thumbs: Mind you, my passenger didn't quite understand the "weight loss" concept:

omg1.jpg

Really enjoyed vids Simon, spot on :thumbs:

Well done both of you

Wish you'd been there, really. The rain held off and we only left because we were knackered after 65 plus laps.

"Mystery guest" turned up, borrowed a helmet and jumped in with me. We got black-flagged because he was filming from the passenger seat. :yawn::yawn:

Hopefully he'll post it later.

In the last picture, why does my bonnet look elongated?

Wide-angle lens distortion.

Corrected in Photoshop CS3:

Wasn't complaining. it looks pretty good with an elongated bonnet :teeth:

Bad luck. :p:lol:

_DSC6623a.jpg

hehe, now thats just wrong.

Few pics. Tay joins us but opts out of the track stuff. Very wise eh Jay??

Mystery guest didn't even bring his Z. Wonder who that could be all you South West folk. ;)

I'm not even sure he owns a Z :p

you know who he is then?