Calling Supra owners past and present!

Sam Mcgoo

Hi Guys,

As you may have seen in my intro thread, my sup is currently for sale. ;)http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=226622

I'm still not sure if I've made the right decision and I'm after a bit of advise.

Top of my list to replace the sup is a 350z. I've always liked the look of them ( with nice wheels and a Nismo Kit) and think I fancy something a bit more 'modern'.

Now, I test drove an early one last summer and although I loved the way it drove and handled, I was pretty disappointed with the performance. (No surprise coming from a Supra TT6 really.)

The problem is I've got the 350 itch again, but I still very much enjoy driving fast from time to time.

I've got it in my head now that the way to go is a supercharged 350z. I wouldn't be going for megga power just a reliable 380 to 400 bhp so I wouldn't feel like I was 'down grading' from my sup.

Do any of you have any experience of both a S/C 350z and a SupraTT? I'm assuming that around the 380-400bhp mark it will feel as fast if not faster than my BPU sup (380-400hp)?

Also, how reliable is the 350z at that level of power?

For those that have come to a 350z from a Supra TT, are you satisfied? If not, would a supercharged 350 be the way to go?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just after some advise from people that have experienced both cars (I know there are a few on here). I wan't to be sure I don't regret selling the Sup as I really do love it.

Thanks,

Sam

Ive had na & tt supra's,standard tt supe is quicker but not loads,the z needs more working thou,the z handles so much better & i much prefer the driving exp of the z,imo the supra is now dated&basic,i had supe's for 7 years & enjoyed every min of owning them i just think the z is progress,as for modding the good thing about the supe is throw a grand at it & an extra 50-70bhp is easy the same money will get you no more than 15bhp on the z,if thats not enough then either buy a converted tt z(seen 1 for 20k) or get a r33/34,i would not swap my z for any supe its like going from video-blu-ray :thumbs:

I'm assuming that around the 380-400bhp mark it will feel as fast if not faster than my BPU sup (380-400hp)?

The Zed will still feel slower than the Supra due to the power delivery, if you want it to feel fast you'll have to turbo it to the same power level. That said, the 350 will in reality be a quicker car due to the more modern chassis being more exploitable and being able to get on the throttle quicker with more predictable output levels when exiting corners.

Just viewed your supe, :yahoo: nice moter,thats prob at least a second quicker to 60 but ide doubt if you would lose a z round some 2nd&3rd bends as the supes are bitches getting the power down

Cheers, and thanks for you input. The Sup does handle surprisingly well for a big car as long as the Geometry is set up well. Your right though, getting the power down can be tricky leaving corners. You have to ensure the wheels are straight when the 2nd turbo comes on line or you can find yourself sideways very quickly! ;)

I'm assuming that around the 380-400bhp mark it will feel as fast if not faster than my BPU sup (380-400hp)?

The Zed will still feel slower than the Supra due to the power delivery, if you want it to feel fast you'll have to turbo it to the same power level. That said, the 350 will in reality be a quicker car due to the more modern chassis being more exploitable and being able to get on the throttle quicker with more predictable output levels when exiting corners.

I don't really want to go down the turbo route on the 350 as I really fancy a SC for a change. I would hope that the low down torque of the sc would be alot more useful on the road. I don't mind if it feels a 'little' bit slower than my sup due to the power delivery, as long as its still exciting.

Nice motor you got there, strangely not sold even though all the posts are saying it's a cheap one...

What type of money are you planning on spending on a Z?

Could get a cheapish one and throw 8-10k on it and get a nice TT setup. :teeth:

Thanks, :thumbs: I'm actually away working at the moment so the Sup is not available to view yet. At the moment there are 3 people wanting to come and collect it on my return.

If I do go this route, I wouldn't want to spend more than £15k as I can't help asking myself if the 350z is worth twice what my sup is. I'm also trying to decide if I'm better off getting one that looks how I want it and sc it myself or get one already sc'd and changing the looks to suit.

Other than the "will it excite me enough question" I'm also concerned that with the 370 out now the prices of the 350 may drop substantially in the next 12 months leaving me well out of pocket.

Oh I don't know, decisions, decisions! :wacko::)

Nice motor you got there, strangely not sold even though all the posts are saying it's a cheap one...

Thanks, :thumbs: I'm actually away working at the moment so the Sup is not available to view yet. At the moment there are 3 people wanting to come and collect it on my return.

If I do go this route, I wouldn't want to spend more than £15k as I can't help asking myself if the 350z is worth twice what my sup is. I'm also trying to decide if I'm better off getting one that looks how I want it and sc it myself or get one already sc'd and changing the looks to suit.

Other than the "will it excite me enough question" I'm also concerned that with the 370 out now the prices of the 350 may drop substantially in the next 12 months leaving me well out of pocket.

you'll never 'make' money on a car... if you do then fairplay... I'd just grin and bear it :evil:

Get a import Z they seem to be fairly low valued over there for a unknown reason and unjust too but sure it's the buyers that decide... then get her SC'd and kitted out yourself. Haven't seen any nice examples for 15k that has a SC on it already. A few guys on here can give you price guides on SC a car from scracth ... on budget or a more planned more expensive approach. Plenty of people running all kinds of body kits on the site too, would you be a veilside kinda man or more suttle?

A :drunk:

you'll feel 10 years younger whatever you do changing from the Supra to a Z

you'll never 'make' money on a car... if you do then fairplay... I'd just grin and bear it :evil:

Get a import Z they seem to be fairly low valued over there for a unknown reason and unjust too but sure it's the buyers that decide... then get her SC'd and kitted out yourself. Haven't seen any nice examples for 15k that has a SC on it already. A few guys on here can give you price guides on SC a car from scracth ... on budget or a more planned more expensive approach. Plenty of people running all kinds of body kits on the site too, would you be a veilside kinda man or more suttle?

A :drunk:

you'll feel 10 years younger whatever you do changing from the Supra to a Z

More on the subtle side, I really like the Nismo kit lowered with a nice set of wheels. Ideally in Azure blue or black. However, I have seen some wide arch/body kits that look fantastic B) but maybe a bit outside the budget with a s/c on the cards.

I'll have to have an ask tonight in the FI section for predicted costs etc... but right now I've got to go to bed as I'm on nights. :yawn: