squealing noise from engine

bounty78

I seem to be getting a squealing or whining noise coming from the engine bay. Tends to be worse first thing in the morning when the engine is cold but now it's getting a bit constant and a tat annoying :bang::surrender: Not sure what it is..have just had the alternator/AC/auxiliary belt replaced and retightened. So i don't think it's the belt. can you guys have a listen to the video and any opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :thumbs:

th_30062010.jpg

:shrug:

Could be a noisy idler pulley, these would have been slacked off and re-tightened when you had the new belt replaced. There may be more tension on the pulley because of the new belt which would put more load on the pulley. Not sure if the pulleys have a bearing in them as the noise sounds like a dry bearing, could also be one of the other bearings in the AC pump, alternator etc. which is more noticeable now if the belt has more tension on it.

Diagram of pulleys and belts for info

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Drive_an ... eplacement

So we think it could be a dry bearing of some sort or the belt pulley..thanks guys. :thumbs: It's booked into Falcon garage next week to have the banana bar replaced. Will get them to have a look for these things.

I could have sworned it wasn't there prior to having the belt's changed :bang:

Just been out to see if the noice goes away with revs...Nop. The only way it goes away is when i go quicker so that i can't hear it or turn the music up :lol: It's getting a bit embarassing when u pull right next to cars at the traffic lights. Yes..it's that loud.

Could a faulty power steering pump make similar noice?

It must be the bearing on one of the auxiliaries ............ you'll have to try to identify which one and then fix it ........ maybe the belts are a bit tight which has exacerbated the problem ......... hopefully it'll be the belt idler which is probably the cheapest

Will keep people posted if i could get to the bottom of this. :thumbs: Hopefully it's not going to cost me and arm and a leg :scare:

can one of the mod please amend the spelling error for the title..don't think i could do it from my end :shrug:

just edit on your original post lol

I'll be sooooooo grateful

• 2 weeks later...