Engine Management Light on - Catalytic converter!

kevlo

hi guys and girls, my engine management light came on 3 days ago. car is running fine but we called out the aa and he did a diagnostic code check on it. I cant remember the exact code but i think it was 430 and it said catalytic converter bank 2....(cant remember the rest)

any ideas to what it may be? i know i have been vague.

the aa man reset it but the light has come back on today. As said the car seems to be running fine

any help much appreciated.

p.s i have aa breakdown repair cover so i can get it fixed under there warranty but before i take it to the garage thought i'd see if it was a common problem

hi guys and girls, my engine management light came on 3 days ago. car is running fine but we called out the aa and he did a diagnostic code check on it. I cant remember the exact code but i think it was 430 and it said catalytic converter bank 2....(cant remember the rest)

any ideas to what it may be? i know i have been vague.

the aa man reset it but the light has come back on today. As said the car seems to be running fine

any help much appreciated.

p.s i have aa breakdown repair cover so i can get it fixed under there warranty but before i take it to the garage thought i'd see if it was a common problem

430 is L/H cat.

You would be best to pull the codes again as your fitment of the JWT P/C today may have triggerred a different fault with a different code.

i cant mate havent got a reader. its been on 3 times now each time the code was the same.

if it is l/h cat code 430. what does this mean? is it dangerous to run the car with this happening?

if i replaced the cats with HFC's would this solve the problem?

i cant mate havent got a reader. its been on 3 times now each time the code was the same.

if it is l/h cat code 430. what does this mean? is it dangerous to run the car with this happening?

if i replaced the cats with HFC's would this solve the problem?

If the code is 430 then that points to a innefficient L/H cat.

Replacing the cat should/may solve your problem.

I have preowned OEM cats in stock available with new gaskets.

Best to get a professional diagnoses carried out on Consult 2 to pin point your issue.

yes mate thats what the aa man said "inefficient cat" what does this actually mean to the running of the car? is it causing any damage?

i was going to put HFC's or decat's on anyway. i dont fancy paying money for oem cats to only replace them in a couple of months

yes mate thats what the aa man said "inefficient cat" what does this actually mean to the running of the car? is it causing any damage?

i was going to put HFC's or decat's on anyway. i dont fancy paying money for oem cats to only replace them in a couple of months

Inefficient cat means that the cat is not working properly and will probably be an MOT failure if the emmissions are wrong.

I have a couple of pairs of decats if you are interested, but they will not pass an MOT either :)

• 5 months later...
Hi,

I'm trying to find out what would be a fair price for a new catalytic converter for my car, not including install/labor fee.

depends on what your looking for OEM or aftermarket, hi flow or de cat

Cheap de cats around 150.00

hi flows start around 275.00 and go up from there

OEM 2nd hand, speak to Zmanalex or R35LEE

brand new if you go to nissan will be something silly like 1000.00 possibly might be able to find copies for about 1/4 of that new.

its got 11 months and 2 weeks mot on it so thats not really an issue as long as its not causing problems. HFC's would pass an mot though i am guessing?

yes

and regarding an OBDII reading; wahts your location, several members have them and are often happy to read codes for people.

its got 11 months and 2 weeks mot on it so thats not really an issue as long as its not causing problems. HFC's would pass an mot though i am guessing?

yes

and regarding an OBDII reading; wahts your location, several members have them and are often happy to read codes for people.

Or just use the pedal method, with a phone that has a stopwatch and pen & paper... It's tricky but I managed it ok :thumbs:

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what would be a fair price for a new catalytic converter for my car, not including install/labor fee.

Thanks

93 Formula Mods: 383, LE2 Heads/Intake, 226/230 cam, 52MM TB, Magnaflow cat back, Catalytic Converters, LT headers, CAI, SFC, Strut Brace, Adj LCA, Adj Panhard, Relocated Torque Arm, Progressive Rate Springs, Short Throw Shifter

Low mileage pre-owned cats in stock. :thumbs:

Just :pmzmanalex: if I can help you further. :thumbs: