Real easy tax question...

slimjim

Hey peeps!

I pick up my 2003 UK Gun metal GT today! :yahoo:

I have everything planned for it.. it is currently SORN, so I am taking it to the PO and getting it taxed.

Did a little research (of course) before I bought and I thought my Road Tax was going to be £435 :bangin:

But on the "For Sale" section on this forum, there is a quote from a RECENT (Aug 2010) post saying:

Tax due end of October 2010 (£245 a year due to registration date of 2003. 2006 and newer are now £435 a year)

So I am now a little confused :shrug:

Can anyone tell me if I have got the price of the tax wrong.... would be GREAT if I had!

:teeth:

£245 :clap: put the spare money in the tank and have a blast

What a great idea...

I suppose the first £300's worth of fuel goes pretty rapidly!

My biggest problem is the weather, raining here and will be from now till probably next year :boat:

Coupled with my lack of skills. This is my first RWD motor and I am pretty scared of "running out of talent" too soon :(

Any pointers? Other than "Don't turn of the TC!" :lol:

£245 :clap: put the spare money in the tank and have a blast

What a great idea...

I suppose the first £300's worth of fuel goes pretty rapidly!

My biggest problem is the weather, raining here and will be from now till probably next year :boat:

Coupled with my lack of skills. This is my first RWD motor and I am pretty scared of "running out of talent" too soon :(

Any pointers? Other than "Don't turn of the TC!" :lol:

The car is much better with the TCS turned off - but only on hot dry days.

Best mod for £200 - D1 Spec Throttle Controller and Cosworth air filter. :thumbs:

The Zed is my first RWD car too ... I didn't think it would be that different at first but after the 2nd time I spun out I have changed my driving style ...

Only thing I can recommend is that you have good tyres and don't accelerate while turning ...

I had an odd tyre on the back of my zed when I purchsed it and it was a lot more difficult to control in the wet ... since having a new set on it's a different beast all together ..

:thumbs:

The car is much better with the TCS turned off - but only on hot dry days.

Best mod for £200 - D1 Spec Throttle Controller and Cosworth air filter. :thumbs:

No chance of a hot dry day till next year I think :(

Will look into those mods! It currently has a CAI on it, but I am willing to move to something else if it is better.

make sure you have good tyres fitted and not some cheap ditchfinders - should be a full matching set of 4 as well :thumbs:

Yeah, THAT is a good idea. I always say the first cash should ALWAYS be spent on rubber and brakes.

I think the Brembo's should cover the brakes. but tyres should be the next thing for me to look at.

Great pointer. Thanks Rich.

The Zed is my first RWD car too ... I didn't think it would be that different at first but after the 2nd time I spun out I have changed my driving style ...

Only thing I can recommend is that you have good tyres and don't accelerate while turning ...

I had an odd tyre on the back of my zed when I purchsed it and it was a lot more difficult to control in the wet ... since having a new set on it's a different beast all together ..

:thumbs:

Don't get me wrong... I have driven lots of RWD motors... I have an infatuation with TVR's... Driven lots of them (and spun a few, but only on the track)

TOTALLY agree with the altering of driving style. Going to have to change so I don't end up in a ditch and/or facing the wrong way down the road... :drive1

Only thing I can recommend is that you have good tyres and don't accelerate while turning ... :thumbs:

True.... :lol::lol: ..........expecially when damp.

HA HA ... that you driving? In your Zed... or in a "Mini" ;)

(I have a friend who has a RWD VTEC Mini... crazy man!)

Only thing I can recommend is that you have good tyres and don't accelerate while turning ... :thumbs:

True.... :lol::lol: ..........expecially when damp.

HA HA ... that you driving? In your Zed... or in a "Mini" ;)

(I have a friend who has a RWD VTEC Mini... crazy man!)

That's me driving in the Z.

General concensus was that my tyre pressure was too high (didn't deflate before going out) and using the throttle controller on 100% wide-open throttle with TCS turned off in damp conditions was a really bad combo........................ :lol::lol::drive1:drive1:bangin::bangin:

Check your tyres. Check the pressures. Check the brakes. Take it easy, especially in the damp. It's not too much of a widow maker though. I tend to think if you've stacked a Zed with the TC on then Darwin has proved himself.

I tend to think if you've stacked a Zed with the TC on then Darwin has proved himself.

You're right. I've come off with TCS on and off but with it turned on, I can't imagine what anybody would have to do to spin it.

My "off" with the TCS on was a quick cross-country along 100 yards of grass where I'd deliberately pushed the Z to it's limits. I knew that coming off there wasn't an issue but you can't do this without knowing the track first and some pre-planning. :thumbs:

Driving a powerful rearwheeler can be quite hair raising to start with. I've not got a Zed yet but I managed it in my RX8 which by all accounts is a lot easier to drive and has 100 horsies less.

Be gentle with the throttle when coming out of corners and don't do what I did when I was 18 in my arcaic Vauxhall Chevette pulling out of a busy junction.........turn the wheel 90 degrees and give it full throttle. Her hair turned from grey to black and back to grey again! :lol:

I was doing some flying laps in a TVR... everything was going well.

The owner was with me... and was TELLING me to push harder as, under all my weird mix of bravado and underselling, I am actually a pretty good driver.

I was coming out of a LONG right hand-er and just touched the gas a TINY little bit too early...

i.e. steering wheel still 5 degrees right rather than dead straight... and I did just under 7 spins in just over 7 seconds.

Went off into the grass, so no biggy. Mistakes on the track can be forgiving.... but NOT on the road!

I think I learned my lesson... (Well, I HOPE I have!)